Post Thanks / Like

Computer guru in Sunrise Beach area?

I'm looking for a computer guy to help me setup a internet sharing setup in my home in Sunrise Beach. TIA Pete

Post Thanks / Like
    Internet connection sharing like “windows 98 use PC as a router” ICS? Using dialup or something?

My Ride
    2016 Manitou Legacy LT SRS
    Post Thanks / Like
    What kind of sharing?

I just went to Google WiFi this week, and it is FREAKING AMAZING.

My Ride
    Rinker 272
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scottalex View Post
    Internet connection sharing like “windows 98 use PC as a router” ICS? Using dialup or something?
    lol. If he was an expert he wouldn't be looking to hire it out.
    Midwest Boat Party - Technical Operations

My Ride
    Cafe Racer & 2 Champions
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Petemag View Post
    I'm looking for a computer guy to help me setup a internet sharing setup in my home in Sunrise Beach. TIA Pete
    PM me. I'm in Sunrise Beach (on the weekends usually) and have have been a network guy for 20 years, pretty sure I can get you taken care of.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BadStinger View Post
    PM me. I'm in Sunrise Beach (on the weekends usually) and have have been a network guy for 20 years, pretty sure I can get you taken care of.
    PM'd you. Thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dredd View Post
    lol. If he was an expert he wouldn't be looking to hire it out.
    Phrasing just seemed specific to me, so was asking in the only context I could think the technology might still make sense, no offense intended. If you have questions Pete, feel free to ask. IT guy here who's been following your solar thread with interest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Phrasing just seemed specific to me, so was asking in the only context I could think the technology might still make sense, no offense intended. If you have questions Pete, feel free to ask. IT guy here who's been following your solar thread with interest.
    Scott thanks. I THINK I got it, maybe. I have an old XP laptop that I've disabled the internal wireless card. I've connected an external Wi-Fi adapter that picks up Wi-Fi's in the area. I then have a switch plugged into the laptop and a router plugged into the switch. The cable from the switch to router is plugged into the WAN port on the router(wondering if I can get rid of switch?). I've enabled the allow other computers to share this computers internet connection on the external Wi-Fi adapter. Seems to be working. I currently have this at my office testing it and will bring it to the lake this weekend. For some reason it doesn't seem to save the sharing adapter setting and I get the two little computers in the lower right saying limited connectivity. I enable sharing on the adapter and the little computers go away and it works. Seems a little slower than I remember though.

Any questions on solar let me know. Thanks Pete

My Ride
    Rinker 272
    Post Thanks / Like
    hah, and I guess you called it!
    Midwest Boat Party - Technical Operations

My Ride
    Triton SF-21
    Post Thanks / Like
    Theres tons of cloud hosting services out there. Just google "cloud hosting service"

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I thought I had it. I still get no internet connection on my devices. Computer is connected to the internet. I'm posting right now using it.

My Ride
    Waverunner / Work loaners
    Post Thanks / Like
    Found this on youtube. might help.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5HvaeVeOkw

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Donw View Post
    Found this on youtube. might help.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5HvaeVeOkw
    HaHa, appreciate the sarcasm

My Ride
    Waverunner / Work loaners
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm with ya...At 56 my knowledge of this sh*t only goes so far,which is about as far as I really care anyway.The struggle is real .ha

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I thought I had it. I still get no internet connection on my devices. Computer is connected to the internet. I'm posting right now using it.
    Alright so someone has an open guest network that you're wanting to extend eh? . You probably shouldn't need the switch and it could be causing issues if anything other than PC is plugged into it. You should be able to go directly from laptop to router WAN. I think ICS is somewhat overcomplicating things since you'll be double natting (or triple if we count the router offering up the wifi signal you're connected to). If you just bridge the laptop's wireless and ethernet adapters it would send the wifi assigned IP directly to the router allowing it to NAT/DHCP downstream from there. Technically ICS or Bridge should both work for the most part (some things won't like being on different networks though) but think Bridge would be simper setup.

Speaking of simpler, what you're really trying to do is just setup a router that supports WI as WAN or WISP (Wireless Internet Service Provider). That would get you down to one device and not require you to leave a laptop on as networking equipment. Something like https://www.amazon.com/WISE-TIGER-Wi...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ== should work if extending a 2.4ghz signal.