Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    271
    Post Thanks / Like

    Solar FINALLY working

    It has been a long drawn out process but we went "live" yesterday. This was not smooth and painless. Would I recommend to someone else wanting to do this going through with it, yes. We were thrown curve balls but manage to work through them. Biggest issue we had was dealing with Co-Mo and scheduling. Not being full timers made it a little more difficult. Working with the Sunrise Beach Fire Department was easy and pleasant. They have code jurisdiction for electrical in our area of Sunrise. The electricians were good to work with. A couple of delays due to their scheduling and emergencies. I do understand things happen. Communication helps in those situations. Now Co-Mo on the other hand caused major delays and required things not explained or told of up front. Those changes caused a three week delay if not more and probably 3 hours of electrician time wasted on site. Wish I could send them the bill for those wasted hours. By my estimate they were on site 8 hours. Three hours initially hooking things up and checking my work over, 2 hours with Co-Mo when we thought we were ready and they hit us with changes(electrician had to re-wire things to their liking), 2 hours another time with Co-Mo then changing and adding an equipment requirement(Combo Meter Box) and 1 hour yesterday re-wiring back to the way it was originally wired. Once the re wiring was done and netmeter installed I finally breathed a sigh of relief. Total equipment cost for a 4.1kWh system was approximately 5,200.00. I'm anticipating electrician bill of 600.00-800.00.

    I asked Tom Hulse from Co-Mo how many solar arrays are in Co-Mo's system and he told me we were number 67. Systems from 800 watts to 80kWh he said.

    If anyone is interested in the process and wants to hear what I learned and would recommend based on my experience PM me and I'll share.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Olathe / Heron Bay
    My Ride
    Rinker 272
    Posts
    2,944
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kudos for sticking with it. Someone has to blaze the trail into the future.
    Midwest Boat Party - Technical Operations

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    KC & 8 mm
    Posts
    808
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats for sticking to it and getting it done. Please report back on savings during summer and winter when the suns out less.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa- 1MM Grand Glaize
    My Ride
    Formula 370SS
    Age
    55
    Posts
    9,373
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hell, share it with all of us! I'd love to hear it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    26MM LOTO
    Posts
    709
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is a payback of about seven years what you’re anticipating?

    I put a pencil to paper and came up with this, using my home electric bills:

    I paid Ameren $1,180.08 in the last twelve months for 6,340 kWh, or 18.6 per kWh. (I don’t know what Co-Mo charges, but let’s assume it’s the same.)

    You invested about $5,800 for a 4,100 kWh system, or $1.41 per kWh.

    So, the payback would be about 7.5 years (i.e. $1.41 divided by $0.186).

    Said another way, for $5,800, you could buy 31,182 kWh from Co-Mo (i.e. $5,800 divided by $0.186). Or, install a 4,100 kWh solar system that would take about about 7.5 years to generate that same 31,182 kWh.

    The above assumes no increase in electric rates over that time. Since rates are certain to increase, payback will, of course, be somewhat faster.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Olathe / Heron Bay
    My Ride
    Rinker 272
    Posts
    2,944
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Baja 252 View Post
    Congrats for sticking to it and getting it done. Please report back on savings during summer and winter when the suns out less.
    Burning dead dinosaurs seems more sustainable to you?
    Midwest Boat Party - Technical Operations

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    271
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Go_Jim View Post
    Is a payback of about seven years what you’re anticipating?

    I put a pencil to paper and came up with this, using my home electric bills:

    I paid Ameren $1,180.08 in the last twelve months for 6,340 kWh, or 18.6 per kWh. (I don’t know what Co-Mo charges, but let’s assume it’s the same.)

    You invested about $5,800 for a 4,100 kWh system, or $1.41 per kWh.

    So, the payback would be about 7.5 years (i.e. $1.41 divided by $0.186).

    Said another way, for $5,800, you could buy 31,182 kWh from Co-Mo (i.e. $5,800 divided by $0.186). Or, install a 4,100 kWh solar system that would take about about 7.5 years to generate that same 31,182 kWh.

    The above assumes no increase in electric rates over that time. Since rates are certain to increase, payback will, of course, be somewhat faster.
    Yes that's about right. It will also help with resale if we decide to sell. Besides helping the bottom line I believe we are also helping the environment.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    271
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 36Tango View Post
    Hell, share it with all of us! I'd love to hear it.
    I'd be a long read.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    KC & 8 mm
    Posts
    808
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dredd View Post
    Burning dead dinosaurs seems more sustainable to you?
    What does that have anything to do with what I said?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Olathe / Heron Bay
    My Ride
    Rinker 272
    Posts
    2,944
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry. Took what you said the wrong way.
    Midwest Boat Party - Technical Operations

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa- 1MM Grand Glaize
    My Ride
    Formula 370SS
    Age
    55
    Posts
    9,373
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Petemag View Post
    I'd be a long read.
    Make it as long or short as you want, i’d sure like to learn from it. You accomplished a hell of an undertaking.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,291
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Petemag View Post
    It has been a long drawn out process but we went "live" yesterday. This was not smooth and painless. Would I recommend to someone else wanting to do this going through with it, yes. We were thrown curve balls but manage to work through them. Biggest issue we had was dealing with Co-Mo and scheduling. Not being full timers made it a little more difficult. Working with the Sunrise Beach Fire Department was easy and pleasant. They have code jurisdiction for electrical in our area of Sunrise. The electricians were good to work with. A couple of delays due to their scheduling and emergencies. I do understand things happen. Communication helps in those situations. Now Co-Mo on the other hand caused major delays and required things not explained or told of up front. Those changes caused a three week delay if not more and probably 3 hours of electrician time wasted on site. Wish I could send them the bill for those wasted hours. By my estimate they were on site 8 hours. Three hours initially hooking things up and checking my work over, 2 hours with Co-Mo when we thought we were ready and they hit us with changes(electrician had to re-wire things to their liking), 2 hours another time with Co-Mo then changing and adding an equipment requirement(Combo Meter Box) and 1 hour yesterday re-wiring back to the way it was originally wired. Once the re wiring was done and netmeter installed I finally breathed a sigh of relief. Total equipment cost for a 4.1kWh system was approximately 5,200.00. I'm anticipating electrician bill of 600.00-800.00.

    I asked Tom Hulse from Co-Mo how many solar arrays are in Co-Mo's system and he told me we were number 67. Systems from 800 watts to 80kWh he said.

    If anyone is interested in the process and wants to hear what I learned and would recommend based on my experience PM me and I'll share.



    After ou pay off 6he intial cost then what? Do you get free electricity ? Do you get free electricity plus make money?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa- 1MM Grand Glaize
    My Ride
    Formula 370SS
    Age
    55
    Posts
    9,373
    Post Thanks / Like
    Detailed pics?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    271
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 36Tango View Post
    Detailed pics?
    I'll be at the lake this weekend and get completed pics. Not sure how to upload them here but I'll try. I'll also type up the process as I see it and interject our experience.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    271
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jrdonnellyjr View Post
    After ou pay off 6he intial cost then what? Do you get free electricity ? Do you get free electricity plus make money?
    As you know nothing in life is free, haha. My goal is to offset the majority of our electric bill with Co-Mo, which is 70-140/mo depending on weather and how often we are down. No matter what they nail you for the "delivery charge". We also did this to help the environment. My wife taught 6th grade science for 22 years and preached to her kids the importance of reducing our carbon footprint. We do try and reduce our footprint on the good ole earth. We have solar on our primary residence and I have it at my office. That was when KCPL offered rebates otherwise I would not have been able to do it.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
MWBP Sponsors









Yellow Pages