Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Ride
    1995 Chris Craft 33 Crowne
    Post Thanks / Like

Put an offer in on a Sea Ray 380 - any advice?

So after years of talking about a new boat, finally put an offer in on one. Ran down to Oklahoma today to check it out and was sold.

It's a v-drive setup and has 7.4 Mercury Horizon motors. Is there anything I should be looking out for??? I ran it today up to 4000 RPM and it was smooth as silk all the way through. Docking was also smooth as can be.

I will be getting a survey done, both in-water and out of water, but if anyone knows of common issues to check for please let me know.

My Ride
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also - if anyone is looking for a fantastic "starter boat", my Chris Craft is for sale. Everything works perfectly, it's paid for and we have had 6 awesome summers with it - definitely time to sell

My Ride
    31 IMP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Look at the title history. Lots of these are sold around here as fresh water boats and they are not. They move them up and try to pass off as a fresh water boat. And donít be afraid of high hours on the generator. Be afraid of a really low hour generator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Ride
    31 IMP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rchuntlsl View Post
    Look at the title history. Lots of these are sold around here as fresh water boats and they are not. They move them up and try to pass off as a fresh water boat. And donít be afraid of high hours on the generator. Be afraid of a really low hour generator.

And get a survey done before the deal is final and donít use the surveyor the person selling the boat recommends.

My Ride
    Post Thanks / Like
    Look at the title history. Lots of these are sold around here as fresh water boats and they are not. They move them up and try to pass off as a fresh water boat. And don’t be afraid of high hours on the generator. Be afraid of a really low hour generator.

I was able to confirm it was sold new on Grand Lake in Oklahoma and has been there it's entire life.

My Ride
    Post Thanks / Like
    And get a survey done before the deal is final and don’t use the surveyor the person selling the boat recommends.
    Currently looking for recommendations...I know nothing about grand lake, but will use someone outside the broker for sure. Initial searches lead to a Tom Benton as "the guy" down there.

My Ride
    340 Sea Ray
    Post Thanks / Like
    Club Sea Ray, and there are several Facebook pages. Might be a 380 page.

My Ride
    2012 Manitou SES SHP
    Post Thanks / Like
    My search lead to Danny Tuttle of performance marine for a survey at grand lake. Unfortunately, my first look at the SeaRay 320 didn’t warrant moving forward. Pics were from when new owner purchased, very bad vibration and wot half of what it should have been.

My Ride
    Post Thanks / Like
    Had compression checks done today. Unfortunately the Starboard motor failed. 140 was the high and 2 cylinders were at 115 which is a 19.6% difference. My understanding is it should be 10%. We'll see what the current owners want to do about fixing it, but I'm done spending money on it for now!

My Ride
    Post Thanks / Like
    So they ran the compression check twice. 2 different techs, 2 different gauges. The Numbers on the starboard motor do not give me a good feeling. I don't get why they changed so much on the 2nd test compared to the first. 2nd test still out of range, but check out the jump in cylinder 5 and the drop in cylinder 7

Test 1

Test 2

My Ride
    cobalt 360
    Post Thanks / Like
    All plugs out?
    Throttle open or closed?
    Batteries on charger or fully charged. That’s a lot of cranking for 2 test

If you proceed ask for service history and look for risers manifolds checked /gaskets replaced. If not replaced not to long ago they could be getting water in some of the cylinders. Also maybe could be low if engine were cold and boat has not been used much.
    Was this before or after sea trial?
    Live, Love, & Laugh

My Ride
    2012 Manitou SES SHP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did you do a sea trial? How are the RPMs at WOT, idle, shifting? I was told by a well respected/multiple LOZ positive reviews and recommendations that if the sea trial checks out fully, and other checks, they really don’t do the compression checks. But analyze fluids.

My Ride
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ya never know View Post
    All plugs out?
    Throttle open or closed?
    Batteries on charger or fully charged. That’s a lot of cranking for 2 test

If you proceed ask for service history and look for risers manifolds checked /gaskets replaced. If not replaced not to long ago they could be getting water in some of the cylinders. Also maybe could be low if engine were cold and boat has not been used much.
    Was this before or after sea trial?
    This was after sea trial and she ran solid, however I didn't put her wide open for long I didn't do the compression tests myself so I can't confirm but they said they were warm.

My Ride
    Post Thanks / Like
    It ran and shifted great. I didn't hold it WOT for long and I probably should have.

My Ride
    Post Thanks / Like
    So I called a Mercury Mechanic with no skin in the game and asked his opinion. To maveric's point - he said if it's running good, it's good to be concerned, but not write the boat off. He said he personally wouldn't rule the boat out provided the power and rpm's are there.

He suggested running some cleaner through it and see if it's just carbon buildup. I called the mechanics down there, they agreed it was a good next step. The current owner agreed to pay for the marina to do some treatment to the motor and fuel, run it for 4 hours this weekend and then perform a leak down test on Monday on the lowest cylinders and another full compression check if the leak down clears.

We will see.