Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking to buy a condo or house

Hi everyone. I donít post a lot on here but a long time member. I have house in St.Louis that Iím going to sell. Iím a single guy. No kids at home. I am looking to buy a condo/villa at the lake or home. Things I would like to have 12x30 or bigger slip, furnished would be great but not necessary If you hear of a good deal or know someone getting ready to sell please let me know. 314 660-5089 Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Ride
    32 Active Thunder
    Post Thanks / Like
    My advice would be to call Terry Summers to discuss your needs, wants and $$ range.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for your reply. Thatís who Iím using. Just trying to way the cost with condo and fees against a house. Iím a paramedic I work 2 days off 4.

My Ride
    34 Superboat
    Post Thanks / Like
    The care difference between a house or a condo is a big factor at least for me. Would you have someone maintain your house /dock if you went homeowner ?
    The Condo will take less total work to maintain when docks , home , seawalls and such are factored in

I chose a home due to many factors , but there is always something needing to be done and I can't say I dont envy condo dwellers when I'm working and they are playing

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you. That makes a lot of sense though. This is going to be big step for me. I donít anyone down at the lake that lives there full time. Hope to meet some of you full timers down at the lake.

Post Thanks / Like
    First thing I recommend is figuring out your budget and the area of the lake you want to be in. It is a sellers market once again, not saying you cant get a deal, but it is relative, when the overall inventory is low, the choices are less.

Our friends just closed on their first lake property. (2nd home) They chose a condo at Indian Point, they were looking in the low hundreds and it is amazing what going from $100 to $125 can change the bang for the buck!

Also, if you are looking at Condos or Villas, look at the last 2 years HOA info to make sure there is no surprises...
    B&B
    20.5 mm LOTO

My Ride
    32 Active Thunder
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by firemedjoe View Post
    Thank you for your reply. That’s who I’m using. Just trying to way the cost with condo and fees against a house. I’m a paramedic I work 2 days off 4.
    I think if I was full time and had your schedule, I'd probably want a house. It seems like you'd have the time to maintain it and still have plenty of time for fun. That being said, budget plays a big factor as well. If my budget was such that I could have a very nice condo in a great location or a small house in a location that I wasn't thrilled with, I'd choose the condo.

Post Thanks / Like
    20 years ago when we bought at Table Rock, the market was different than today, but the basics are the same.
    We made a list of pluses and minuses.
    Home vs Condo
    Budget
    age of dwelling
    repairs needed or near future
    Can you do or need to hire
    location on the lake
    neighborhood
    HOA and dues
    Lawn care maintenance
    Garage or outdoor
    Realtors say Location, location, location How far from work
    Just a few things to consider
    Good Luck!

My Ride
    Cobalt 252, El Papa'
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bajaholic View Post

Our friends just closed on their first lake property. (2nd home) They chose a condo at Indian Point, they were looking in the low hundreds and it is amazing what going from $100 to $125 can change the bang for the buck!
    That's were we stayed at when we were there a couple weeks ago.... We liked it a lot.... I'm a couple years away from taking that step of a 2nd home somewhere. But I will watch this thread to see everyone's input
    Are you part of the problem? Or part of the solution?

My Ride
    38 EC Fountain/252 Formula
    Post Thanks / Like
    A house is more work but there’s nothing better than being on your own dock and enjoying life.

My Ride
    Rinker 272
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flatrate View Post
    A house is more work but there’s nothing better than being on your own dock and enjoying life.
    Also nothing like sitting on the deck sipping coffee watching the grounds guy dust the spider webs off the dock. :D I hand over my HOA fees with a smile.

Just messin... I agree that if it's your only residence and you have the time and physical ability then there are likely more benefits to a house.

Some other members have started full time with a modest condo while learning the lay of the land then moved on to a house after a short time. Even with the market as it is, that is probably still not a bad way to do it.
    Midwest Boat Party - Technical Operations

My Ride
    American Curls
    Post Thanks / Like
    How we found our house, is we did a Zillow search, you can really dial it into the parameters you want and search specific spots on the lake. After we found one in the area we wanted that fit every thing, we gave it to our agent to make sure it was available and then went to look at it after they looked to make sure there wasnt anything we should worry about.
    Whats next?

My Ride
    "Stress Eliminator" 36 Daytona
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking to buy a condo or house

If you have some time, and the budget rent a few places via Vrbo or similar in various areas around the lake. See what tickles your fancy.

House vs Condo is always a debate
    Others have posted solid advice, make sure and ask for the financials of the HOA of the condoís you are looking for. Make sure monthly fees, assessments etc are all factored into monthly budgets. Location location is definitely a high priority. Talk to neighbors around the places you are looking at.
    Offseason is a good time to look better chance to see where the full timers are.

One word of advise get yourself a 10í pole and check water depth on any dock slip you plan to end up with. Avoid shallow water. If water depth is below 8í now itíll be almost on the ground in the winter draw down of the lake. 10í plus is better.

The lake drops 6í. So lifts will not go down, docks can sit on the ground and cause damage etc during the draw down.

Summer time is Happy time

My Ride
    Cobalt 252, El Papa'
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by QWKRN U View Post
    If you have some time, and the budget rent a few places via Vrbo or similar in various areas around the lake. See what tickles your fancy.
    That's exactly what we are planning to do over the next few years until we find what we like the best.
    Are you part of the problem? Or part of the solution?

My Ride
    33 AVS "American Thunder"
    Post Thanks / Like
    i would say the market might be a little softer for you now compared to the beginning of the year. I helped a friend get a lake front house this spring and people were standing on their ridiculously high prices, and it took 3 months and looking at 56 houses to find a deal. BUT we notice lately a lot of those houses didn't sell. a couple of weeks ago this same friend was just fooling around and put in any offer on another lake front house that was 40k under the sellers "firm" price, and he closes this week on it. my advise would be to not be in a hurry, but like a boat try and buy before spring. offer what you think a place is worth, not what they are asking, even if your insulting them.
    Boater Mechanics Association, we screw, we nut, we bolt!

boat [boht] noun- A wood (or fiberglass) lined hole in the water into which one flushes money down.