Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Ride
    Formula 370SS
    Post Thanks / Like

Bunch of antique outboards- where to sell?

I have a bunch of antique boat motors that I need to not own anymore. I have no idea about the details of any of them, other than I hate to just take them in for scrap. If a guy needed a bunch for bar decor or just needed something to tinker with, these may fit the ticket. Most are Evinrude/Johnson, but there are some others. Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Ride
    340 Mach 1
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sort them out into lots and Ebay them?
    That is one awesome collection of history you have!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

My Ride
    What ever they let me drive
    Post Thanks / Like
    I sold a bunch to a customer, found them on facebook. Put them on there.
    www.BigThunderMarine.com

Iowa across the river from Neb city/LOTO,Gravois arm
    My Ride
    32ft regal & cig cafe racer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have any idea how many are there? Are they at the lake? Do you have a price in mind?

Post Thanks / Like
    The owner of B&B plumbing collects them. I was in his shop once and he has a whole display of them.

My Ride
    24 ft Four Winns
    Post Thanks / Like
    Call American Pickers

My Ride
    Formula 370SS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by laketime View Post
    Do you have any idea how many are there? Are they at the lake? Do you have a price in mind?
    If somebody takes them all they would be $50 each (not sure on the count). They are located in Cedar Rapids, but are already loaded on a trailer so they could easily end up at the lake.

My Ride
    Formula 370SS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by THE GHOST View Post
    Call American Pickers
    Will do!

Post Thanks / Like
    The thing about the American Pickers that always amused me was that they would go somewhere that had 10 acres of building full of stuff and they would but 2 items and think they had really helped the guy clean his collection out. So if they take more than one I would be surprised.

My Ride
    Formula 370SS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by infield View Post
    The thing about the American Pickers that always amused me was that they would go somewhere that had 10 acres of building full of stuff and they would but 2 items and think they had really helped the guy clean his collection out. So if they take more than one I would be surprised.
    They have no interest. I think that the days of them really picking is over.

Post Thanks / Like
    You don't think they could come back?

My Ride
    Liberator/Formula 353
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tango, there is a Face book group that you need to post these on. I'm gonna guess they would jump all over them especially if you give them the choice of that buy all price...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/49655829434/

Antique Outboard Motor Club (AOMCI)
    There are 2 seasons; Boating Season, and waiting for Boating Season.

My Ride
    29' Fountain 525SC
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mecum auctions. I was at the muscle car auction in Indianapolis, IN and they had a separate room for old/antique outboards. Might be worth a try??
    You can always retake a class, but you can never relive a party.

My Ride
    2007 South Bay 925
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is quite a collection you got there. I know this is no help in selling them, but what's the story behind the collection? How did you come to own all of those? If you prefer not to share that story, that's fine and understandable, but it seems like that collection took some years to put together so it would be interesting to hear how all of those cool old egg beaters ended up in one garage.
    Carefree/Scottsdale, AZ and 8MM at LOTO

My Ride
    Formula 370SS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ2LOTO View Post
    That is quite a collection you got there. I know this is no help in selling them, but what's the story behind the collection? How did you come to own all of those? If you prefer not to share that story, that's fine and understandable, but it seems like that collection took some years to put together so it would be interesting to hear how all of those cool old egg beaters ended up in one garage.
    Well, a couple of years ago my son and brother in law started selling a few cars on the side. I told them that if they were going to continue to do it that they should become "legit" and have a dealers license and insurances. We went through that process and began selling a few cars out of a property that we were already using for something else. That worked out OK, but just OK. At about the same time, we got to talking to a cousin that has an Evinrude dealership in town (very small but good location), and he wanted to retire. Actually, he kind of retired about 5 years ago and just let the business dwindle. We rented space from him to show cars. One thing led to the next and we ended up buying the dealership, along with the property. My brother in law left his 7 year job of selling at a Harley Davidson dealership, and now manages our dealership full time. My son helps him, but his full time gig is still managing the Sky Zone that we "acquired" about 18 months ago (another long story). I just help out on the "business" side of things. In our town, it is tough for a small outboard repair center to stay profitable, as it is only about a 5-6 month season. By adding cars sales to the mix, overheads can be shared and both can be operated profitably. He had been there for 30 years so there was crap everywhere. Over the summer we remodeled the building and cleaned up the "yard". I took 4 car trailer loads of junk outboard motors to the scrap yard! These motors were on a trailer that was kept under a semi truck (I guess that they are "good" junk). They are cool enough that I hate to see them go to waste, but we wont keep them around. They have literally accumulated over the past 30 years.

We typically have about 20-30 cars/trucks and about 15-20 motorcycles in stock at any given time............along with a trailer full of antique motors.