Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Ride
    A trawler, a toon, a dinghy
    Post Thanks / Like

Fort Myers and Cape Coral -- any must see places?

Heather and I took an old trawler we bought from Kentucky Lake, down the rivers, and are now in Fort Myers Beach until at least January. We know a few of you spend time in this area and know it pretty well, so I thought I would ask:
    Are there any must do things or must see places in Cape Coral/Fort Myers? Is the Edison Ford Estates worth a visit while here? Relaxing on the beach is nice, but is there anything we should not miss? We are at a marina on Estero Island (Fort Myers Beach), but the bus system seems decent so getting around is not difficult. Of course we can dinghy to local places as well from here. Suggestions are welcome. Merry Christmas everyone!
    Carefree/Scottsdale, AZ and 8MM at LOTO

My Ride
    Formula 370SS
    Post Thanks / Like
    What an awsome trip! Please give us more details!

Post Thanks / Like
    Monday at Lighthouse 2 for 1 drinks is popular. Fresh Catch at Junkanoo for high end dining (the building looks sketchy but it is GREAT). The Cottage for live music every night after 9. Catch a sunset at Lanai Kai on the rooftop. Boat to Cabbage Key for lunch and I love to eat orange cake at the Bubble Room on Captiva. Rent a bicycle on Sanibel. I have done the Edison /Ford properties and liked it....if you like history and inventors you would really like it...it was a walking tour where you wear an earpiece and go at your own pace. Lots to do .....these are my favorites.

Post Thanks / Like
    i forgot to mention Sunday morning at the Mermaid is decent. People bring motorcycles and rat rods and some nice cars and line them up.....bloody mary tastes like medicine but it is a popular thing to do.

My Ride
    Formula 370SS
    Post Thanks / Like
    As Ash said, you can boat over to the Sanibel Yacht Club (just south of the bridge) and walk a little ways and rent bicycles or scooters. With Scooters you can cover all of Captiva. I like the area around Blind Pass and South Seas Plantation.

If you are heading back up, you can also rent golf carts at the Boca Grande Yacht Club.

I also agree that Cabbage Key is a great stop.

Hire a Captain and go offshore. Even if not a huge fisherman it is cool to get out into the blue/green water and see all kinds of things. For that matter, buy some tackle and hit one of the nearshore reefs.

Maybe take the Key West Express to Key West for an overnighter?

The tacos at Yo! Taco across from the Lani Kai are pretty tough to beat.

Also agree on Edison and For stuff. You can dock downtown Ft Myers and be withing walking distance.

I would love to see some pics from your travels. We rented a 42' Grand Banks trawler a few years back and traveled from Sarasota down to Ft Myers Beach and then back up in a week. We enjoyed ourselves and made some neat memories.

My Ride
    What ever they let me drive
    Post Thanks / Like

My Ride
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the ideas. Actually, a couple of those places are within walking distance from where we are staying. We are enjoying the area enough that it is tempting to stay through most of January.... who knows? We may stay or we may head toward the keys after the first of the year.
    36Tango, I may start a thread about this trip. It has been something I have wanted to do for decades, and things just kind of came together to do it now. So, we bought the big, old, fat-bottomed trawler and worked on it for about a year, then launched it and headed out. Here is a shot at anchor on our way down the Tennessee River or Tenn-Tom Waterway a few weeks ago.
    We've logged somewhere around 1,000 miles so far. Our biggest outing so far was about a 175 mile crossing of The Gulf of Mexico from Carrabelle FL to Tarpon Springs. That was an overnight crossing so we waited for a good weather window. It's an old, slow, 49' Albin cockpit trawler. Not fast. Not sexy. Definitely not new. But she floats and has a lot of room for us and the old boat seemed worth saving.
    Thanks again for the tips on the CC/Ft. Myers area.... and keep them coming!

My Ride
    Freedom Boat Club
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL ..... I had a great time, Mrs. LakeRat not so much ......
    Life is gooder in retirement !!!! - Endless Summer Live Life !!!

My Ride
    Rinker 272
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ2LOTO View Post
    Thanks for the ideas. Actually, a couple of those places are within walking distance from where we are staying. We are enjoying the area enough that it is tempting to stay through most of January.... who knows? We may stay or we may head toward the keys after the first of the year.
    36Tango, I may start a thread about this trip. It has been something I have wanted to do for decades, and things just kind of came together to do it now. So, we bought the big, old, fat-bottomed trawler and worked on it for about a year, then launched it and headed out. Here is a shot at anchor on our way down the Tennessee River or Tenn-Tom Waterway a few weeks ago.
    We've logged somewhere around 1,000 miles so far. Our biggest outing so far was about a 175 mile crossing of The Gulf of Mexico from Carrabelle FL to Tarpon Springs. That was an overnight crossing so we waited for a good weather window. It's an old, slow, 49' Albin cockpit trawler. Not fast. Not sexy. Definitely not new. But she floats and has a lot of room for us and the old boat seemed worth saving.
    Thanks again for the tips on the CC/Ft. Myers area.... and keep them coming!
    Sounds like a great bucket list kinda expedition. I'm sure everyone would enjoy a thread of pics and stories!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Midwest Boat Party - Technical Operations

My Ride
    Post Thanks / Like
    Took the dinghy up to Doc Ford's Rum Bar and Grill today for lunch, then enjoyed going through a few canals on the way back to the marina looking at some of the houses. Still really liking this area and we are now considering hanging around through most of January before heading for the keys. Thanks for the ideas above, guys.

My Ride
    302 Baja
    Post Thanks / Like
    You are living the dream...my dream. We're planning to do the loop when we retire. Looking forward to it. Keep the posts coming.
    Between two evils, I always pick the one I've never tried before.

Post Thanks / Like
    Please share pictures! Sounds like a life dream to do something like that. Can you put up a map of your travels also?
    Thanks
    Craig and Gena

My Ride
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, guys. Yes, it has been a dream of mine to do this for about 25 years.... so finally giving it a shot. I know it's a boring, old, slow boat and not what we normally talk about here; so it's nice to see some of you do have interest in this "slow" stuff, too. I'll try to start a thread with some pictures and updates on what we've done so far, where we've been, and where we're headed. Then I will try to keep it up to date (sort of, anyway). The trip is a ton of fun so far, and also a lot of work. I wish this trip could go on forever, but we will have to go back to work at some point. If all goes well, we will make it to the Bahamas, the Keys, up the east coast, into the great lakes, and then who knows? After decades of wondering if we could ever do this, we made a "let's do it now" decision, but it still took well over a year to put together after that decision was made and after the boat was bought. The old trawler needed some love... and it still does, but it's proving to be a good boat for us to do this.

Back to the Cape Coral/Fort Myers Beach theme.... we biked up to a restaurant called Heavenly Biscuits this morning. The name is not an exaggeration. Go if you get the chance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ2LOTO View Post
    Thanks, guys. Yes, it has been a dream of mine to do this for about 25 years.... so finally giving it a shot. I know it's a boring, old, slow boat and not what we normally talk about here; so it's nice to see some of you do have interest in this "slow" stuff, too. I'll try to start a thread with some pictures and updates on what we've done so far, where we've been, and where we're headed. Then I will try to keep it up to date (sort of, anyway). The trip is a ton of fun so far, and also a lot of work. I wish this trip could go on forever, but we will have to go back to work at some point. If all goes well, we will make it to the Bahamas, the Keys, up the east coast, into the great lakes, and then who knows? After decades of wondering if we could ever do this, we made a "let's do it now" decision, but it still took well over a year to put together after that decision was made and after the boat was bought. The old trawler needed some love... and it still does, but it's proving to be a good boat for us to do this.

Back to the Cape Coral/Fort Myers Beach theme.... we biked up to a restaurant called Heavenly Biscuits this morning. The name is not an exaggeration. Go if you get the chance.
    It sounds like a great adventure.Keep us posted.

My Ride
    32 Active Thunder
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your adventure sounds like an awesome time. Looking forward to hearing more about it and seeing pics.