Thread: Freeze Temp

My Ride
    SeaRay 320 Sundancer
    Post Thanks / Like

Freeze Temp

First time this year engine compartment hit freezing temp...exactly 32 a few hrs ago. First year with boat and wanted to see how the boat safe heaters worked (used, new to me boat). Yes, it’s fully winterized, but wanted to monitor for future reference if they worked, how they were wired and their effectiveness. Bought a WiFi temp and humidity gauge that tracks the data. Makes me think I wouldn’t have to fully winterize til thanksgiving and could start the season come late March (probably still drain blocks, but not put pink stuff in).

My Ride
    Chaparral 256ssi
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure I understand, is this with or without heaters? I rarely winterize before Thanksgiving and usually dewinterize in early April. Is this in a dock over water, on a trailer, in a unheated building? At LOTO?

My Ride
    1995 Chris Craft 33 Crowne
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick21 View Post
    First time this year engine compartment hit freezing temp...exactly 32 a few hrs ago. First year with boat and wanted to see how the boat safe heaters worked (used, new to me boat). Yes, it’s fully winterized, but wanted to monitor for future reference if they worked, how they were wired and their effectiveness. Bought a WiFi temp and humidity gauge that tracks the data. Makes me think I wouldn’t have to fully winterize til thanksgiving and could start the season come late March (probably still drain blocks, but not put pink stuff in).
    As Rickb asked, what's the setup? What kind of boat, in/out of the water, etc.

I tracked the temp in my 33' ChrisCraft which is in the water all year. It rarely got below freezing in the engine compartment, even without a heater. My new boat has bilge heaters and I hear them running, have yet to track the temp though.

My Ride
    Rinker 272
    Post Thanks / Like
    We sometimes dewinterize in late March and the boat is on a lift. Just depends on the year.
    Midwest Boat Party - Technical Operations

My Ride
    38 EC Fountain/252 Formula
    Post Thanks / Like
    I see ice at our dock this morning for the first time this year.

My Ride
    38 EC Fountain/252 Formula
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick21 View Post
    Do you know that the heaters are still on ?

My Ride
    1995 Chris Craft 33 Crowne
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dredd View Post
    We sometimes dewinterize in late March and the boat is on a lift. Just depends on the year.
    We frequently dewinterize around St. Patrick's day, but the boat is in the water, again depends on the year. When the boat is in the water and that water temp is in mid to upper 40's, not a whole lot to worry about.

I've been down to my boat in January, 10 degrees out, and I've never found anything frozen inside the cabin such as a bottle of water. The engine compartment definitely gets colder though with the ventilation.

My Ride
    SeaRay 320 Sundancer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Per questions asked, setup is a cruiser in the water with two boat safe heaters on shore power. They were kicking on when I was down last (over month ago). This was my initial reason for getting a wireless monitor, to see if they actually worked since it was a used boat and secondly to test efficiency. They kick on automatically when temps are below 45 in the engine compartment. But my assumption is the efficiency isn’t great with exposure to the elements and no real insulation other than water below. I wanted to get an idea of how cold the air outside needs to get along with water temp to get to certain compartment temps. New to me boat, and just wanted to be sure.

And, just as asked above knowing if the heaters are still kicking on since I haven’t been down to check them or shore power. Anyone with heaters that can provide experience? Do they usually keep temps closer to 45 even when outside temps are in the teens?

My Ride
    "Stress Eliminator" 36 Daytona
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a lyric monitor in our seadoo boat. Using a bilge heater in it. The temp seems to stay around 55-60 degrees in the bilge. The heater I used kicks on at 40 degrees and off at 60.
    On the day it dropped to 10 degrees for some time, I got a low temp notification from the lyric at 35 degrees. I thought perhaps the heater had failed but upon inspection it was determined the corner where the lyric was located,wasn’t getting any airflow, I checked the other areas of the bilge with a heat gun and found the heater was still working. I moved the lyric to the middle of the bilge and notice now the temp is staying around 65 degrees in the bilge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Summer time is Happy time