Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    My Ride
    Freedom Boat Club
    Post Thanks / Like
    Has Bruce did the trip yet ??
    Life is gooder in retirement !!!! - Endless Summer Live Life !!!

My Ride
    A trawler, a toon, a dinghy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AV8N View Post
    ...... The wife and I plan to do this trip in a few years and have been cyber stalking some boats. The aft deck is something that I hadn't really put much thought into but it sounds like I should...
    AV8N, I've thought a lot about this easily overlooked part of the boat over the past few weeks!
    In the early stages of this thread I was giving an "introduction" to the boat we bought for this trip. What makes a boat "right" for the way you will use it? One of the points I made was that early into our boat search we decided to place a pretty high value on having some decent outdoor living space. I mentioned how so many trawlers seemed wonderfully equipped and capable at getting you to your destination, but fell short on "living" space outside. Realizing this will be our home and we would be at anchor for days at a time, or in a marina for weeks at a time in some cases, we did not want to be trapped inside.

Back then, none of us had heard of COVID-19 or had imagined just how much of a pause this crazy time could put on our journey. Like most Americans, we have been confined to home for the past few weeks and that will go on for a while. In our case, home is the boat. I cannot tell you guys how grateful I have been to have this large aft deck and extra space during all of this. With just the slightest breeze it is comfortable out there, under the big hardtop, in the shade. We basically live out there all day, relaxing or working on a project. It's an aft deck when we use the boat as a boat, but tied up here at a marina for weeks at a time, it's basically a big back porch. We knew it was going to be important to us, but we had no idea just how much that would prove to be true.
    Carefree/Scottsdale, AZ and 8MM at LOTO

My Ride
    302 Baja
    Post Thanks / Like
    We're glad you guys are enjoying the "back porch". That's the part that we enjoy most about being at the lake, sitting on the boat/dock and talking to the folks that walk by. We've put the boat search on hold until things start to turn around...or we get sick of being confined to the house. It sounds like you were pretty lucky to find a marina that is open and able to take you guys long term. My parents are full time RV'ing and they have shutdown most of the parks in Florida. Crazy times for sure. Hopefully we will be on the other side of this before long. Enjoy the adventure, we certainly enjoy hearing about it.
    Between two evils, I always pick the one I've never tried before.

My Ride
    Post Thanks / Like
    So COVID-19 caused a lot of loopers to throw in the towel for 2020. Many went home when things got funky. We are not giving in. Maybe that is because we are "all in" and live on the boat full time. It's hard to "go home" when you are already home. So, we found a little marina in the keys for about 6 or 7 weeks. I will have to say we were pretty bored, so we tried to pass the time riding bikes and doing boat chores.

One good thing to get working on is all of our exterior teak. It had all been neglected for years and years. I stripped a bunch of it all the way down to bare wood and started the refinishing process. It's coming out great. It was old and dark looking and stripping it all the way down seems to really brighten it up. Lots of work to prep it and then several coats will be needed, but it's coming out pretty good. Now that I've started it I'm pretty motivated to keep working my way through it.

FINALLY we have started heading north. It felt so good to be moving again. We ran from Tavernier FL up to Miami. We have been anchored in Key Biscayne Bight for a couple of nights now. It's nice to be back in civilization again. There were literally about 200 boats in this anchorage this Saturday, but by nightfall there are just maybe 20 of us here.

About 20 minutes into our run after sitting still for 6 weeks plus, we felt a pretty heavy vibration. We figured out it was related to the starboard engine. We got lucky. After reversing a few seconds it seemed to clear up so I guess we picked up something on the prop, shaft, or rudder and it cleared itself. We were so eager to move on that limping back in for any serious repair would have been pretty disappointing. Thankfully it was a simple one that basically fixed itself right there in the channel. The channel through there is very shallow. We spent many miles with only about 2 feet of water under our keel.

Anyway, it's good to be moving again. Hopefully things will smooth out with the virus closures enough that we can enjoy all the little towns along the way on this journey. If so, we'll be able to share some more stories and pictures as we work our way up the east coast.

Here are a couple of pictures. We were surrounded by beautiful boats today. Miami skyline in the distance from this anchorage. So good to be moving north! Even the dog was excited. Some of the refinished teak.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Ride
    32 Active Thunder
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great to read and see the updates on your journey. The teak looks like new

My Ride
    Rinker 272
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some purdy boats and teak!
    Midwest Boat Party - Technical Operations

My Ride
    Post Thanks / Like
    We went through Miami today, and then up through Ft. Lauderdale. What a zoo! After weeks of "no boating" due to COVID-19, this was the first weekend they let the kids out to play; and everyone with a boat seemed to be out. It was really cool to float our own boat through Miami, and we did that early enough in the day that it was pretty peaceful. What a beautiful city from the water. By the time we made it Ft. Lauderdale, though, it was madness. At times the ICW, was like a LOTO washing machine on a holiday weekend. Of course most of that area is lined with concrete seawalls on both sides of the skinny ICW, so the rocking and rolling was pretty intense in areas. Passing through Ft. Lauderdale was pretty cool, too. I had been through there on a boat as a kid and was just amazed at the yachts and houses. 40 years later, what a treat it was to take our own boat through those same waters. I cannot count how many 100 feet + private yachts line the ICW through there. It got to where a nice 60 footer really didn't turn your head. We could have gone outside in the Atlantic for most of the day, but I wanted to go through that Ft. Lauderdale ICW area again and I'm glad we did. It was worth all the madness and waiting for bridges to open, etc. I just never thought I would get the chance to do this..... I'm loving it!

The old Cummins engines just purred all day again (knock on teak). We got to where we thought we would anchor for a day or two, but it was still packed with probably 500 boats -- that was Lake Boca Raton at around 3:30 this afternoon. It was going to be hours before it calmed down so we went on up the ICW. We are anchored tonight just along the ICW in Delray Beach. So far it seems like it should be a very relaxing night, which sounds good after about 8 or 9 hours at the helm today. So far this little anchorage, surrounding by homes and condos, is as calm as a swimming pool and we are the only boat here for the night.

It's good to be moving again! We were both tired of the keys and are glad to be heading north. Hopefully things will keep going well, but time will tell.

My Ride
    old cars and trucks
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the update!!
    Missouri just did a partial opening back up today. We'll see how that plays out.
    OF ALL THE THINGS I'VE LOST IN MY LIFE,

I MISS MY MIND THE MOST!!

My Ride
    302 Baja
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the update! Glad you guys are moving again. Ft. Lauderdale is one of my favorite places. I consider it the yachting capital of the world. Sunday brunch at Shooters is always one of our favorite stops. Did the reverse trip (Boca to Miami Beach) in a Skater in about 15 minutes!
    We took our boat out on the local Kansas pond over the weekend for some de-winterization testing. Like you observed, everybody was out. It was like a holiday weekend. Glad to see people getting out and enjoying life again.
    Between two evils, I always pick the one I've never tried before.

Iowa across the river from Neb city/LOTO,Gravois arm
    My Ride
    32ft regal & cig cafe racer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its great to hear you are on the move again. Teak looks great, keep us posted.

My Ride
    Post Thanks / Like

Miami area

I have not updated here in a while. I'll try to get caught up a little. I hope you all are having a good Memorial Day weekend. We are slowly working our way north on our journey. Here are a few pictures as we went through Miami. We anchored in Biscayne Bay for a couple of nights. Then headed north on Sunday AM through Miami. Here is the city in the distance from our anchorage for those 2 days, and a few shots as we took the old trawler through the city.

My Ride
    Post Thanks / Like

Ft. Lauderdale area

Ft. Lauderdale was a zoo when we went through there. It was fun, but it was "busy" at the helm at times. Here are a few shots taken from Sea-N-Stars as we worked our way through there. If you get a chance to to this, take it.

My Ride
    Post Thanks / Like

Favorite boat and a better place to anchor

I loved this Burger called Nadan. It was built in 2009, but in the style of the 1920's and 30's yachts. You can google "Nadan Yacht" and see some videos of it. I know it is not the kind of boat we drool over here on MWBP, but it sure caught my eye just north of Ft. Lauderdale so I thought I would throw out a couple of pictures. As stated above, we were hoping to anchor in Lake Boca. We thought it would have emptied out a little by the afternoon as we came through. Not exactly! It was a mess and packed. Heather pulled up the webcam as we went by and grabbed a screen shot just for fun. We went on up to Delray Beach and found a little spot off the ICW that we had to ourselves for a perfect night at anchor. I set the anchor alarm kind of tight on the east side. There was a community dock over there and if we ever drifted that way I just wanted to wake up and check it. We hardly moved all night as you can see on alarm map. Had we stayed in Lake Boca I know I would not have slept as well. This was perfect. We are low enough (around 17' air draft) that we do not need many bridges to open for us, but there was a stretch between Miami and well north of Ft. Lauderdale that we did need them to open. It was pretty easy to watch the charts and the bridge schedules and time it so you did not have to wait long. Some open on request, and some have a predetermined schedule.

My Ride
    Post Thanks / Like

West Palm Beach

Sorry for so many posts in a row today, but just trying to get caught up a little as I am way behind. In fact we are in South Carolina now, so I've been a little slow to post. West Palm Beach, FL was a great stop. We anchored just off the ICW which is nice and wide as you pass by West Palm Beach. There is plenty of room for several boats, but it was just us and 2 or 3 others for the night. It was time for some groceries so we took the dinghy over to the municipal docks (technically closed for COVID, I guess) which were really nice and convenient. Grocery shopping by dinghy beats typical suburbia any day! West Palm Beach was so impressively clean and nice for walking around. The downtown area is great, and we walked over the bridge to the Palm Beach side on the coast. The beaches were closed at that time, but we could still get to them and walk a few miles to see the area. It was another nice stop, but still better things ahead.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the updates. We are living vicariously through you, and it has been fun!
    B&B
    20.5 mm LOTO