Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    My Ride
    Formula 336 SR1
    Post Thanks / Like
    My concern is that those making the decisions to shut down, etc. are mostly politicians and government workers. Their paychecks will continue regardless of what decisions they make. However, many of those affected by their decisions will not. Seems a more prudent approach would be to monitor who is actually coming into the ER with severe enough issues to be admitted and make decisions on a city / county level. So far those numbers are just not on the rise in a significant way - in most areas. IMO it's really irrelevant how many have it (note many have already had it) but rather the severity of it - we would see that in the ER's. It's easy and safe to say - let's just shut it all down and reopen in a month or two - but the reality is business doesn't work that way. If we get to 10, 20 or 30% unemployment, it will take years to get back to anything considered normal. Money from the government is not going to fix that. We need a more balanced approach with economics, health and DATA guiding our decisions - not hysteria!

My Ride
    A trawler, a toon, a dinghy
    Post Thanks / Like
    boater34, if you were able to watch the "town hall" kind of meeting held today outside the White House, then most of it probably was music to your ears. It was to me. President Trump, VP Pence, Surgeon General Adams, and Dr. Birx were a pleasure to watch. Frankly, I felt Trump added very little value to the panel. What he has done is built a team that is pretty amazing. I have always felt that was his strength, and it maybe the most important strength for a president to have. The live stream town hall was worth watching. Most of it was pretty good.
    Carefree/Scottsdale, AZ and 8MM at LOTO

My Ride
    Post Thanks / Like
    This (link below) makes so much sense to me. It is a link I posted in the "it's here" thread as well, but I think it is wise to share this article. If the logic in this article holds up, and if there is some momentum from the powers that be that can recognize this logic, then it is quite possible that a more normal time is much closer than we think. Couple that with the dominant themes of "we are going to have to get back to work" and the "we cannot make the prevention worse than the virus" admissions from yesterday's town hall, and you get some hope.
    https://www.conservativereview.com/n...in-us-matters/

My Ride
    1995 Chris Craft 33 Crowne
    Post Thanks / Like
    The lack of testing to get data is the single biggest fail of this thing so far. Without the data it's very hard to make correct decisions and you can't get it without widespread testing (I get that you can't test every American).

My Ride
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting.... So here is who funded the primary study that triggered the shutdowns.

In their own words, here is who they are: In 2007, the Grantham Foundation for the Protection of the Environment made the visionary decision to support an Institute at Imperial [College in London] to provide a vital global centre of excellence for research and education on climate change. Today, the Grantham Institute is established as a leading authority on climate and environmental science.

The Grantham Institute is Imperial College London's hub for climate change and the environment, and one of Imperial's six Global Institutes established to promote inter-disciplinary working and to meet some of the greatest challenges faced by society. We drive forward discovery, convert innovations into applications, train future leaders and communicate academic knowledge to businesses, industry and policymakers to help shape their decisions.

I'm not saying they got it wrong. I'm not saying they missed the mark. I'm not saying they caused a panic unnecessarily. Maybe they are dead on accurate. What I will say is that when you read their own words (above) it is pretty easy to know their agenda, or their likely leaning.

My Ride
    Rinker 272
    Post Thanks / Like
    All I'm gonna say is, if it passes then all the Trumpsters are going to say that we over reacted and if it doesn't pass then the same people are going to say, "See, killing the economy didn't help."
    I stay away from politics. I realized I wasted enough energy for one lifetime thinking about that long ago. Get real though, killing the economy to this degree is not good for anyone's agenda. What we need is to stick together like the great country we are instead of constantly seeking divide.

Ok, back to my drink. Another boat to illustrate income divide... Ok ok sip

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Midwest Boat Party - Technical Operations

My Ride
    25 TT Neptoon
    Post Thanks / Like
    It was about a month ago, it was announced that the US has 21 cases and everything is under control. We're headed to zero. Now with 80,000+ cases later they decided that something should be done. I got my guidelines postcard in the mail today.
    What happens at the lake, stays at the lake. Unless I have a camera handy.

Iowa across the river from Neb city/LOTO,Gravois arm
    My Ride
    32ft regal & cig cafe racer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have that announcement about the 21 case and heading to zero handy, I did not see it and would like to read it?

Thank in advance.

My Ride
    32 Active Thunder
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ2LOTO View Post
    Interesting.... So here is who funded the primary study that triggered the shutdowns.

In their own words, here is who they are: In 2007, the Grantham Foundation for the Protection of the Environment made the visionary decision to support an Institute at Imperial [College in London] to provide a vital global centre of excellence for research and education on climate change. Today, the Grantham Institute is established as a leading authority on climate and environmental science.

The Grantham Institute is Imperial College London's hub for climate change and the environment, and one of Imperial's six Global Institutes established to promote inter-disciplinary working and to meet some of the greatest challenges faced by society. We drive forward discovery, convert innovations into applications, train future leaders and communicate academic knowledge to businesses, industry and policymakers to help shape their decisions.

I'm not saying they got it wrong. I'm not saying they missed the mark. I'm not saying they caused a panic unnecessarily. Maybe they are dead on accurate. What I will say is that when you read their own words (above) it is pretty easy to know their agenda, or their likely leaning.
    They actually admitted yesterday that the real numbers are not even close to what they were predicting in their model.

My Ride
    25 TT Neptoon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by laketime View Post
    Do you have that announcement about the 21 case and heading to zero handy, I did not see it and would like to read it?

Thank in advance.
    Feb. 26: “So we’re at the low level. As they get better, we take them off the list, so that we’re going to be pretty soon at only five people. And we could be at just one or two people over the next short period of time. So we’ve had very good luck.” — Trump at a White House briefing.

Feb. 26: “And again, when you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that’s a pretty good job we’ve done.” — Trump at a press conference.

Oops, I misspoke. it was 15 not 21.

My Ride
    302 Baja
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Dredd, I'm with ya. I work around folks that just want to talk about what the jack a$$'s in DC are doing all day, and what they saw on FOX or CNN last night. It breeds a lot of negativity and doesn't accomplish a thing. To think that the Dem's want the economy to tank is just nonsense. China created this to hurt America...what?? But there are a lot of people, normally sensible people, that believe it. I am glad to see Trump finally acting presidential and getting the country behind him. We need unity at times like this.
    Between two evils, I always pick the one I've never tried before.

My Ride
    32 Active Thunder
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a really good timeline of Covid 19
    https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...id-19-n1154341

My Ride
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am socially isolated (nonessential) and not hearing any "talk around the water cooler". If that talk is negative at this stage, that is a bigger concern than the virus. I would worry about what those people are about to become.

Watching Dr. Birx, VP Pence, Surgeon General Adams, and the team they have put together is amazing. Watching their professionalism, how they handle the questions, and the attempts at trying to find the "gotcha moment" or attempts to create total panic and destruction by juveniles pretending to be journalists is incredible. They will make mistakes, but these are impressive people. They are coordinating so much and getting such positive results in short order. It is easy to admire and respect them. It is positive.

There is good being done. Watching companies donate (not sell, but donate) millions of N95 masks that were to be used for manufacturing to hospitals for medical use instead, or ramping up production to meet new demands, or completely re-tooling to make sanitizer vs bourbon is impressive. A local restaurant re-works their business model to become a source of groceries for their neighborhood, not just to empty their shelves, but they keep ordering food from suppliers. Last week they were a restaurant. Today they are buying/selling/delivering groceries to meet a need (and hopefully make some money, keeping people employed). Examples of this are all around. CEOs of our nation's largest retailers are meeting to share best practices and ideas on how they can work towards normal operations in a safe manner to keep people employed and to let us buy stuff safely. These are competitors. Right now they are just Americans working on a challenge. Good stuff!

The numbers we are dealing with right now are a statistical ZERO compared to projections. I'm not minimizing the victims. Our communities will have them, and I may become one, but statistically this is still at zero compared to where it is/was supposed to go. If the people surrounding you are finger pointing at government, bitching, moaning or can only see the negative; then I worry about them when this gets to be even 10% as bad as expected. If the predictions are even 10%, 20% or half right, those people will lose their minds. If you can help them stay calm, it is probably the best thing one could do.

Good luck everyone. The numbers should climb fast, but they MAY fall even faster. A little optimism wouldn't hurt us.

Post Thanks / Like
    https://www.lakeexpo.com/news/corona...e46a0adca.html

CAMDEN COUNTY, Mo. — COVID-19 tests are ramping up, with the result of four new cases confirmed today, totaling eight with one death at the Lake of the Ozarks.
    Two are currently hospitalized.
    The other five infected have been instructed to self-isolate unless they need immediate medical care.

The cases have hit six men and two women, ages 32-77.
    Two of the eight cases reported out-of-state travel, and one reported a stay in another Missouri county with high case rates.
    Close contacts have been informed and instructed to self-isolate and monitor for symptoms for 14 days from their last exposure to the ill person.

My Ride
    25 TT Neptoon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OzarkRick View Post
    https://www.lakeexpo.com/news/corona...e46a0adca.html

CAMDEN COUNTY, Mo. — COVID-19 tests are ramping up, with the result of four new cases confirmed today, totaling eight with one death at the Lake of the Ozarks.
    Two are currently hospitalized.
    The other five infected have been instructed to self-isolate unless they need immediate medical care.

The cases have hit six men and two women, ages 32-77.
    Two of the eight cases reported out-of-state travel, and one reported a stay in another Missouri county with high case rates.
    Close contacts have been informed and instructed to self-isolate and monitor for symptoms for 14 days from their last exposure to the ill person.
    It was also reported that two of the new cases had attended the west side pub crawl.