Post Thanks / Like

Rip Rap in front of the seawall

Trying to determine if i need rip rap in front of the seawall.
    We are NOT on the main channel, but right where the no wake starts in a busy channel. So we do get a fair amount of waves.
    Have heard that over time the waves will erode the the material behind the seawall and cause the seawall to fail And replacing the seawall will be even more expensive. Other concern is will the rip rap be a place for snakes to nest. I hate snakes!!!!!! One additional benefit, this will reduce the bounce of the waves off the seawall. This is really not an issue for me.
    The seawall is around 17 years old and i think it is fine now. But....
    Have about 135 feet of seawall and i think i need about 120 tons of rock. So it is expensive. Got one bid and would be interested in others. If anyone is interested or knows someone.

thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    I can’t help you on bids, but perhaps I can give you some thoughts on the need for rip rap.

I bought a main channel lot, with a little bit of wave protection provided by an offshore island, back in 1990. The lot came with 180 feet of seawall about 8 feet tall. The footings had been undermined by wave action, so I tossed tons of rocks over the seawall (unearthed when we excavated for my house) to place under the footings, and then poured a couple tons of concrete to further protect them. The wall is still in good shape, and I don’ think it’s budged an inch in all those years. Every spring, I go down below my seawall and spend a couple hours tossing rocks up against the footings to help protect them from being undermined. It’s not a big deal.

My neighbors on either side had rip rap installed about 7 years ago. They really didn’t need to, in my opinion. In all the years I’ve been at the Lake, I’ve only seen a few seawalls tipped over and needing replacement (none in my subdivision), and they’ve all failed due to poor construction. If you have good concrete footings, bulky and adequately-spaced deadmen (mine are very substantial) and proper backfill, the wall should last a lifetime.

I don’t have a boat dock, so wave reflection off my seawall isn’t a problem for me.

I’ve seen water snakes and black snakes on my neighbors’ rip rap, but actually it’s pretty rare that I see them. Those snakes are harmless (though black snakes will bite if provoked). I don’t care for snakes, either, but they’re not nearly as much a nuisance to me as are all the raccoons, possums, armadillos and squirrels that dig up my landscape, steal peaches of my tree, etc. And don’t get me started on the Canadian geese.

Finally, I don’t like the aesthetics of rip rap. I don’t want it in front of my house.

Hope this helps.

My Ride
    old cars and trucks
    Post Thanks / Like
    Like Go-Jim said.
    We just pile some bigger rocks along the base of the seawall to help keep the wave action from under mining the sea wall. Do it every year about this time when they have the spring drawdown. Being close to Coconuts, we now get a lot of wave action.
    OF ALL THE THINGS I'VE LOST IN MY LIFE,

I MISS MY MIND THE MOST!!

Post Thanks / Like
    We had our seawall built in 1987, after 20 years of waves from our busy cove it was being undermined pretty bad. So about 14 years ago we added riprap, 5k for 210í to give you a comparison on how much the price has gone up. Instantly we noticed how much less the dock rocked from the rip rap canceling the waves bouncing back at it.
    We always had water snakes swimming by the shore and around the dock from time to time, but with the riprap you do see them more sitting on the rocks sunning themselves. I really canít say I have more snakes, I think itís just that you see them more.
    My biggest complaint with the riprap is how it catches sticks, leaves and other trash. We climb around on it two or three times a year pulling stuff out. There is so much of the rip rap that is above the normal water level it never gets washed out. In 2020 hindsight, if I had a choice I wouldíve not had them make it go as far up the wall. As far as It saving the wall, I guess itís done that. The wall hasnít moved any in 30+ years. Thereís no way itís ever going to tip over with that much rock in front of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for your help. Will let you know what we do. This has been the year we have done a lot maintenance and spent a lot of money. Some for improvements and some things that just needed by done.

Started reading some on the seawall and rip wrap and was thinking i do NOT want to have replace the seawall.

If there is anyone that installs seawalls, would like to get there opinion on this.

Post Thanks / Like
    On the height of the rip rap. The contractor said for this to prevent the erosion, the rip rap needed to be a foot or so above full pool.

Also suggested you put a smaller rock on top of the rip rap. This will help to hold the rocks in place and not have the small areas for snakes to hang out. This all makes sense to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Eighteen years ago I was disappointed when Ameren wouldn't give me a permit for a sea-wall. I couldn't be happier with the Rip Rap. Both my neighbors have walls and the waves bounce off those walls with force. My Rip Rap knocks the bounce back probably by 90%. It is amazing the difference, personally I believe the wave action of the lake would be help significantly if everyone had Rip Rap. With respect to snakes, my feeling is the Rip Rap is not an attraction for snakes. One of my neighbor has an old stone and mortar wall that he doesn't keep well maintained and those snakes like the nook and craneys that his wall has more than my Rip Rap. When the flood hit a few years ago the water got in behind my neighbors walls causing some minor issues for them. The water just raised up and receded with our Rip Rap. Add to this I have had zero maintenance and absolutely no worries on my wall.

My Ride
    29 outlaw
    Post Thanks / Like
    OP50, same with our lot. We are 60 foot lots and the houses are starter homes, I.e., no walls to keep costs down. We are in Cartwright cove, which is wake boarders, tubers, and other wave makers delight.
    If we had walls, it would be even worse than it is on our docks. The rock really absorbs that shock well. I would advise anyone who can, go with the rip rap. I know it doesn’t look as good as a wall but it really helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    We had it installed in front of our seawall several years ago and it REALLY cuts back on the reverberation waves from the see wall. I agree with tbird it REALLY helps. We are ion a very busy cove at times.

My Ride
    34 Superboat
    Post Thanks / Like
    Having a hard time finding any of the old round stones that was used years ago , most quarries now have that chunky limestone....it works but doesn't look as good as the round rock.

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel for you I live in a no wake cove and build my sea wall 20 years ago out of 80 pound retaining wall blocks. Dig down and had the first block 4 to six inches deep in solid clay. Now I have a issue in one area with the wall sinking and shifting from wave action and the area the bottom block is completely exposed now.
    I built two dead men and put boards 16 inches out from the wall and have tossed rocks in behind the boards to help stop the erosion.
    Even in a full time no wake cove you will have issue over time

Post Thanks / Like
    Since i have started this process, i have started to look at other seawalls. I and i think i can see where the problems are and seawalls that will be a problem in the future. I got a couple of bids and i think i am going to to add the rip rap. Hopefully this will extend the life of the seawall, as replacing the seawall would be very expensive.
    There are a couple of ways to do this. One of the contractors tries to place the rocks, versus just dumping. It does look a little nicer.

My Ride
    42 Fountain
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a similar situation. I sent you you a PM with the est I have and curious who you are using.
    "It's been said that youth is wasted on the young. By taking risks, we assure life isnít wasted on the living."

ENJOY WHAT'S Important!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Big Z - sent a private message.