Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I sanctioned lake race

ok i see lake race has some issues, and the last 20 years at the lake seem.likebthe offshore racing series have so many organizing issues I wonder if ... the super success of the shootout could not be replicated for lake race? It sure appears that we have a good base of teams, sponsors, local support, fan base, and certainly many of the most passionate supporting boating and race professionals in the world connected here

My Ride
    1992 24' baja outlaw whippled
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shootout is a completely different event, and to an extent completely different group of people that compete. people travel in from across the world just for it, it would be comparable to what key west is for offshore racing, people would rather travel to to Florida etc for racing, and the local populous isn’t as large as many of the other venues that are located near large population areas
    Midwest Boat Party - Business Operations

My Ride
    32 Active Thunder
    Post Thanks / Like
    My first suggestion would be to move the date. Moving it a weekend later would probably increase spectator field significantly. It was like this in 2013. Currently, most people just had the long Memorial weekend and went home on Monday night. A lot of people skip coming down the weekend following holiday or will just come down late Friday and won't attend the pre race events. Moore people attending more events = more $$$ and incentives for local sponsorship.

That or move back to Mid/late September like it was originally with OSS.

My Ride
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    My first suggestion would be to move the date. Moving it a weekend later would probably increase spectator field significantly. It was like this in 2013. Currently, most people just had the long Memorial weekend and went home on Monday night. A lot of people skip coming down the weekend following holiday or will just come down late Friday and won't attend the pre race events. Moore people attending more events = more $$$ and incentives for local sponsorship.

That or move back to Mid/late September like it was originally with OSS.
    Attendance wasn’t good back then either but it was a blast!

Post Thanks / Like
    Shootout got big local business support when first started because weekend before labor day was slowest of "sumner season " then after it became big, weekend after memorial is slowest season weekend

My Ride
    36-NorTech Cat "Suppression"
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lately I don't think the date helps a great deal maybe a little later in the season would be better. The big item that I've noticed is the lack of race boats in most of the classes which lead to long gaps and delays between races. The first years were the best but lately it has lacked boat counts in the last few years for some reason. It can't be the purse it pays better than almost every other venue by far.
    "Luck is when Preparation meets Opportunity"

www.associatedfire.net

My Ride
    Formula 336 SR1
    Post Thanks / Like
    From what I hear the super cat's don't like the new course in front of Gators & Toad so that's a problem. I think it really needs a big local sponsor that can fund and coordinate it. Seems like Margaritaville Resort would be a good venue and potentially the deep pocket sponsor it needs. Big wide open water, resort setting, good spectator areas and a less busy part of the lake. We have several race teams based at LOTO - I would think they could all get together and lobby them for it.....

My Ride
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by boater34 View Post
    From what I hear the super cat's don't like the new course in front of Gators & Toad so that's a problem. I think it really needs a big local sponsor that can fund and coordinate it. Seems like Margaritaville Resort would be a good venue and potentially the deep pocket sponsor it needs. Big wide open water, resort setting, good spectator areas and a less busy part of the lake. We have several race teams based at LOTO - I would think they could all get together and lobby them for it.....
    Lobby who for it? The lake race committee who is set it up at the toad

My Ride
    Formula 336 SR1
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by baditude View Post
    Lobby who for it? The lake race committee who is set it up at the toad
    Have the LR committee speak with Margaritaville Resort management about hosting it.

My Ride
    Post Thanks / Like
    Back before it went to rons, there was talk of moving the shootout to tan Tara, but if I remember right WP shot down the idea of shutting down that part of the lake for whatever reason, and the course thing is correct, the out of town teams love the venue but dislike the course, in both recent formats, same for our local teams

My Ride
    Rinker 272
    Post Thanks / Like
    WP said there are so many deep coves in that area of the lake that it'd be hard to police traffic coming out of them. Maybe that line of thinking could be updated at this point though.
    What specifically is disliked about the course?
    Midwest Boat Party - Technical Operations

My Ride
    Post Thanks / Like
    The nature of the water itself, many do not like flat water, and also turns 4 and 5 (not sure if that’s the numbers on the current course I haven’t raced that one yet)

My Ride
    Rinker 272
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh yeah, they always mention the flat water being different but I haven't ever heard anyone say they don't like it. We could always run some turd semi-displacement cruisers around the course first to get the washing machine going!
    Midwest Boat Party - Technical Operations

My Ride
    36-NorTech Cat "Suppression"
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by boater34 View Post
    The first races OSS were held in front of the Toad and personally I think it has the best vantage points to watch the race. You can only shut-down parts of the lake for so long. Which is one of the reasons it's run during an off weekend to avoid some of the traffic. While I didn't mind it by the dam it's just a good or better by the Toad area.
    "Luck is when Preparation meets Opportunity"

www.associatedfire.net

My Ride
    Post Thanks / Like
    A little throwback to the old OSS days

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aeWxwiRuaJQ