Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

First time to LOTO

So I have been a member on here for years and have not posted much.

About 10 years ago my wife and I discussed trying LOTO out with our boat however we never did it. Her aunt and uncle have a place on Greers Ferry Lake in Arkansas that we have went to every year. This year looks to be the year we are going to try something new.

Looking for any recommendations places to stay (or stick to AirBnB) and establishments to visit. We have three boys aged 15,13, and 11 so they would have to be kid friendly.

We were thinking sometime after the 4th of July during the week. I hear that it can get busy on the weekends. We have a 22' boat and the kids enjoy to tube and ski.

Any other information/recommendations would be helpful.

My Ride
    2007 Chaparral 276 SSX
    Post Thanks / Like
    With a smaller boat, I'd stay north of Hurricane deck bridge.. the 35mm. That still gives you proximity to Cpt Rons, Bulldogs Beach house, Bear Bottoms resort, etc., but calmer waters. That is the busiest time of year. Might be tough to get a rental this late.. Maybe Bear Bottoms has something. Good luck. Enjoy LOTO.

My Ride
    Rinker 272
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good advice from Bluefoot. I'd also look in the Big Niangua which is also a calmer area with lots of VRBO condos. From the Big Niangua you have quick access to the places Bluefoot listed as well as Larry's on the Lake, which is kid friendly. Also, I would imagine you could find places for water sports in the Little Niangua.... but I'm not that familiar with the area.
    Midwest Boat Party - Technical Operations

My Ride
    Coming soon
    Post Thanks / Like
    We used to stay at Robins resort quit a bit.. We liked it because... its clean .. easy roads in and out .. boat ramp on site and docks ..on weekends and holidays its in a no wake zone .. close to state park for tubing and ski .. also close to red heads bar .... keep in mind 4th of july is about the busy ist you will ever see that lake...... hang on to your hat.... wakes get huge !!!

My Ride
    32 Active Thunder
    Post Thanks / Like
    Holiday Shores http://www.holidayshoresresort.com/
    Great location by land and water. You will be fine in a 22' boat during the week. Way in the back of a no wake cove. It is so centrally located that even on the weekends when its busy, you could boat 1-3 miles and be at half a dozen restaurants. For water sports, go out before noon or head down the Grand Glaize arm a few miles away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lakewood resort next to the grand glaize bridge. Its a time share complex that has rentals. Like others have said the glaize arm with the state park.

The resort is practily next to dog days. Red heads and Backwaters is nearby. Paradise and Margaritaville are not to far either.

With covid i think this will be an unusual year at the lake. Boat sales are through the roof.

My Ride
    32 Active Thunder
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Justfishing View Post
    Lakewood resort next to the grand glaize bridge. Its a time share complex that has rentals. Like others have said the glaize arm with the state park.

The resort is practily next to dog days. Red heads and Backwaters is nearby. Paradise and Margaritaville are not to far either.

With covid i think this will be an unusual year at the lake. Boat sales are through the roof.
    Stayed there once...........and vowed never again.

My Ride
    2018 Dodge Charger 392
    Post Thanks / Like
    Check out Margaritaville (aka Tan Tar A). Still on the main channel and will be 'challenging' on a holiday weekend but close to everything and lots of stuff for kids. Might be hard to get a room for the 4th. Look at the "Estates". Shuttles run frequently and all-in-all, an all around good place to stay.

Post Thanks / Like
    LOts of VRBO's in Tan Tar A(Margaritaville)

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies and advice. We are thinking a week or two after the 4th. Mid to Late July.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    Stayed there once...........and vowed never again.
    What was wrong with it

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe he was there the "Swingers Convention" weekend?
    B&B
    20.5 mm LOTO

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bajaholic View Post
    Maybe he was there the "Swingers Convention" weekend?
    I have stayed as a guest of a timeshare owner a number of times. Its a cross between a condo and a resort. They are fully furnished 2 bedrooms units. Clean well maintained. They do have thier rules so if you want to cram 15 people in a unit that isnt happening. Helps to keep it a quiet place. Decent pool, swim dock

Post Thanks / Like
    No it would just be 5 people 2 adults and 3 kids.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lots of options of where to stay, VRBO or pick a small resort that you like. I have a 23 foot boat and you should have no problem during the week. I normally book a place a week before we go because a lot of places do not let you cancel and my job makes it hard to plan to far ahead. I might have to make a few calls to find a place, but always find one. The biggest thing for me is to find a place with calm water docks so the boat does not get all beat up.