Thread: 288 Crownline

Post Thanks / Like

288 Crownline

Any thoughts about this boat ? Anybody have/had one?

My Ride
    Rinker 272
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think they look like great boats. They appear to have been a competitor to my Rinker 272. The walk-through transom and wrap-around seating are great features. Crownline's build quality is pretty high, from what I've seen. The company founder spun off from Celebrity boats.

Often when tied up to friends with cruisers and performance boats, everyone ends up on ours because of the open area and the way the walk-through transom invites you in.
    Midwest Boat Party - Technical Operations

My Ride
    1995 Chris Craft 33 Crowne
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure what year you are looking at, but I have an old 1992 crownline and I had to do the stringers, transom and floor in it, Was a common issue for that vintage. Hopefully they improved how they sealed up the floor to the stringers in the later years.

That said, even in a 92' model the rest of the build quality is above average IMO. We still run the boat, original seats, carpet (was able to use what was in there when I redid the floor) etc. Very little in the terms of spider cracks in the fiberglass, nothing rattles. Even after the hell-on-earth fiber glassing projects, I'd still look at another one, I'd just make sure there was no rot.

Post Thanks / Like
    In 1998 Crownline went to all treated wood in stringers and flooring. Treated wood will deteriorate if allowed to to sit with water. The 288 is a great boat, and is 10' wide so not towablw without special permits. Most of those are on lifts and not trailered. we have a 2000 266BR and it is still solid.