Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jrdonnellyjr View Post
    What’s an a&p?
    Quote Originally Posted by infield View Post
    Not my thread but I am sure it is air frame and power plant. or propulsion. Or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Average Joe View Post
    Correct....it's an approved mechanic as the FAA doesn't allow just anyone work on planes; so they have to be licensed.

Thanks!

My Ride
    Rinker 272
    Post Thanks / Like
    Next up, required a ladder. Starting in 2020 in order to fly in to busy airspace all airplanes must have a device on them, similar to AIS on a boat. And of course so that the government can track us :tinfoil hat: I went with a solution from the new kid on the block. Solutions from the incumbents like Garmin require new instruments in the panel, new antennas, and a bunch of labor at a specialized shop to install. This one just replaced an existing light (akin to the anchor light on a boat), butt connected two wires, fiddled around with an app a little, done. Also it cost half as much.

Midwest Boat Party - Technical Operations

My Ride
    Intrepid, Formula, Cigarette
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dredd View Post
    Next up, required a ladder. Starting in 2020 in order to fly in to busy airspace all airplanes must have a device on them, similar to AIS on a boat. And of course so that the government can track us :tinfoil hat: I went with a solution from the new kid on the block. Solutions from the incumbents like Garmin require new instruments in the panel, new antennas, and a bunch of labor at a specialized shop to install. This one just replaced an existing light (akin to the anchor light on a boat), butt connected two wires, fiddled around with an app a little, done. Also it cost half as much.

Was waiting for the panel talk to begin, now the real money starts to pour down the bottomless money pit an aircraft represents. Come on Dredd, those glass panels are SOOO COOOL.

Honestly, I would never go back to flying steam gauges, haven't done it since I got my ticket a few thousand hours ago.

Does that ADS require your nav lights to be on all the time to work? Or off to be in stealth mode?
    Never liked those loud obnoxious boats, until I bought one of my own.

My Ride
    Rinker 272
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fool's Gold View Post
    Was waiting for the panel talk to begin, now the real money starts to pour down the bottomless money pit an aircraft represents. Come on Dredd, those glass panels are SOOO COOOL.

Honestly, I would never go back to flying steam gauges, haven't done it since I got my ticket a few thousand hours ago.

Does that ADS require your nav lights to be on all the time to work? Or off to be in stealth mode?
    Hah, yeah I'm sure glass is safer and I'm a gadget guy so I'd love using that stuff. It's not necessary at all for my primary mission though.

Yes the TailBeacon ADS-B requires the nav lights to be on, which I hated the thought of at first because it seemed sloppy. Many people are using this solution now though so I think everyone's pretty much over that. And that answers your last question too

Next, I pulled the seats and carpets out to inspect the wing spar attach points and such.

I did have to work on the panel a little. The tach was bouncy so I took it to Butler Avionics and was told it's shot. Only 2,500 hours.. wth! Better check the warranty!

So I replaced it with a digital one from EI. Installing this ended up being about two evenings and a bit more of a pain than I expected. During that I said, I wish I would have just gotten another analogue one. But, now that it's done it is pretty slick. It records flight time, makes for more accurate mag checks, it's really easy to dial in exact desired RPMs on it, and it looks nice.

I also pulled the attitude indicator and the nav/comm out and took them to Butler for some service. The attitude indicator's gyro was screaming and it was a few degrees off. It came back looking brand new.. but still a few degrees off so it had to go back again later. The radio was transmitting fuzzy sometimes, they replaced a diode or something (over my head) and it works well now.

My Ride
    Rinker 272
    Post Thanks / Like
    While the seats were out I got to looking at the scratched up johnson bar...

So I turned the cockpit into a paint booth

Looks a lot better

Sunsets at the airport never cease to impress. I saw a lot of them.

Glenwood, IA/10mm Spring Cove/Poplar Bluff, MO
    Post Thanks / Like
    That Johnson Bar looks like Saturday night at the Jammer864 house.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
    "You can fall many times in life...But you're never a failure as long as you try to get up!" - Evel Knievel

My Ride
    Rinker 272
    Post Thanks / Like
    The seat belt buckles dangle down and smack the johnson bar if you're not careful, that's what's with all the nicks. I'm going to put in shoulder harnesses and inertia reels next year.

The fuel selector guard was in similar shape

A guy in the type club had some stickers made so I got one of those, painted the plastic, and polished up the aluminum ring

My Ride
    Rinker 272
    Post Thanks / Like
    Prop off, cowl off so we could start taking a closer look at the noise maker end

My Ride
    Rinker 272
    Post Thanks / Like
    The backside of the prop was showing bare metal. This was somewhat distracting when the sun was behind me while flying because the reflection shows up as a big circle in front of me.

Reflection removed

My Ride
    Formula 370SS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for taking us along for this project! It is awesome that you have an A&P to work with on it.

My Ride
    Formula 370SS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a link to the flying club where I learned to fly. The tight runway was a great training ground as I always felt comfortable if I needed to make an emergency landing. Some said that it was always and emergency landing on that strip! My CFI was about 75 at the time with about 35,000 hours. I think that I learned more about life from him than I did flying. The Piper Arrow in the pics is out old plane the we sold to the club.

https://www.greencastleaeroclub.com/

Sorry to derail, but it brings back some great memories.

My Ride
    Rinker 272
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glad you're enjoying the story. It's nice to relive it now that it's behind me... living it during some of the upcoming posts wasn't so much fun.

I bet that 4000 x 60 ft runway at IA24 is was good to train on. I trained out of the second busiest airport in Kansas, which was great for getting comfortable on the radio but not so great for accurate landings and the pattern takes 10 minutes to get around in a 172. My home base 2960 x 39 ft, I can almost do two touch and goes in 10 minutes.

There's a fun one here in KC that's 2206 x 20 feet (3GV). My landing gear track is 12' wide so it pretty much feels like you're landing on a sidewalk.

My Ride
    302 Baja
    Post Thanks / Like
    I took off on 05 at 3GV about 30 years ago in a C150. Didn't have the balls to try and land on it though. Ironically, we had just reinstalled the prop after painting the face flat black for the same reason you mentioned.
    Great project! Keep the pix coming.
    Between two evils, I always pick the one I've never tried before.

My Ride
    Rinker 272
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fuel selector and interior reinstalled. Now the dang carpet looks worse. Actually it's not as noticeably dirty as it seems in this pic.

I didn't have to look very closely at the carburetor heat box to notice the flapper wasn't going all the way closed. It was a long way from closed. For anyone reading who's not familiar, airplane carburetors are prone to icing in certain situations so you can use this valve to temporarily redirect your intake air to come from a stove pipe around the muffler until the ice melts. When you do this you are intaking unfiltered air. It's ordinarily no big deal because you only do this when you're flying and the air up in the sky is most likely pretty clean. This engine was not only always taking in unfiltered air but also not making optimal power since some (quite a bit) of the intake was always hot air. Terrific.
    In this pic you can see how the carb heat box is built. The flapper valve is attached with 3 fasteners to a rod, the carb heat cable attaches to an arm on that rod and rotates the rod. Well, first of all screws are not a very good choice of fastener here because if a nut comes off a screw then the engine is going to eat them. Secondly, the holes in the rod that the screws went through were wallered out and I assume that is thanks to the screw threads. That's part of the reason the valve wouldn't close all the way. The other reason was they had the valve installed backward.

My friend machined a new rod and riveted the valve to it like it would have come from the factory.

No pics but, I was able to source a new old stock carburetor heat cable because someone had used a NAPA (Nifty Airplane Parts and Accessories, apparently) one, which I wasn't too keen about. Doesn't sound like a big deal but nothing was easy. In this case the hole in the panel was too big so I had to plug that and make another hole.