Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Fatal boat accident just after midnight today (7/25/20)

Post Thanks / Like
    This is the stuff that creates 10 mph speed limits after dark-
    My condolences go out to the family and friends for their loss. Please use your head as there are a bunch of lives turned upside down right now over something that could easily have been avoided.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    The speed wasn't the reason, drinking and boating was.... I haven't preached in a while so here goes: DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE!!!! It really is that simple!
    B&B
    20.5 mm LOTO

My Ride
    Formula 370SS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bajaholic View Post
    The speed wasn't the reason, drinking and boating was.... I haven't preached in a while so here goes: DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE!!!! It really is that simple!
    X2!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    That is what I was getting at when I said it could have easily been avoided (let someone else drive or stay tied up and go to sleep). The easiest solution for law enforcement is a speed restriction at night due to the fact that violators are easily spotted (we had this law imposed on us at my cottage in Michigan)-anyone on plane at night is pulled over instantly and there have been no more injuries so the majority of people support it and now all of the people have to live with it.

Boats colliding at 10 mph or less rarely result in a loss of life or injury and that is what got the law passed on our chain of lakes in Mi. I don't want to see it happen at loto as it would limit our choices on dinner destinations by boat.

I consider myself lucky to not drink "strictly by choice" after watching friends and relatives pay for their consequences. I enjoy the performance and adrenaline of life, family, motorcycles, snowmobiles, and boats too much to lose it.

Joe

My Ride
    Formula 370SS
    Post Thanks / Like
    It absolutely pisses me off when folks drink and drive. Selfishly, it puts my family and I at risk. If a drunk boater hurt one of my family, I would have a tough time with it.

That said, to add to it are all the assholes that do not understand that there are red/green nav lights and a white anchor/stern light. We are on the water allot at night and deal with boats with no lights on (radar does help you “see” these), some lights on, or wrong lights on. All of the cool kids out there that think that blue/red or any other color LED lights on outside of your boat are cool are just idiots. They do not understand basic boating, navigation, or what spatial disorientation does to other boaters. Add to this pontoon boaters that use thier “driving lights” while driving at night and the lake, especially after dark, can be dangerous. I see this EVERY single night that we are out. On a dark night with a cloudy ceiling or new moon, it is exponentially worse.

Please, please, do not drink and drive, AND use only the required lighting after dark (you can be as cool as you want at the dock).

My Ride
    31 IMP
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is a terrible deal. Apparently the formula was going across the lake with no lights on. The sea ray hit it. The sea ray driver was over the limit so he will be made an example of. Bad choice made by all. Why we donít boat at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Tango summed it up very well in post #6

Again, this s**t is so easily avoided with common sense. After reading above I now feel even worse knowing that both operators were at fault. We all need to learn from this and self police our group.

Joe

My Ride
    32 Active Thunder
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rchuntlsl View Post
    This is a terrible deal. Apparently the formula was going across the lake with no lights on. The sea ray hit it. The sea ray driver was over the limit so he will be made an example of. Bad choice made by all. Why we don’t boat at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Have not seen anything about the lights on either vessel not being on and none of the reports mention it. The Sea Ray that was driven by the BWI driver struck the port side of the Formula. If this is case, the Formula was the stand on vessel and the Sea Ray was the give way vessel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jperog View Post
    That is what I was getting at when I said it could have easily been avoided (let someone else drive or stay tied up and go to sleep). The easiest solution for law enforcement is a speed restriction at night due to the fact that violators are easily spotted (we had this law imposed on us at my cottage in Michigan)-anyone on plane at night is pulled over instantly and there have been no more injuries so the majority of people support it and now all of the people have to live with it.

Boats colliding at 10 mph or less rarely result in a loss of life or injury and that is what got the law passed on our chain of lakes in Mi. I don't want to see it happen at loto as it would limit our choices on dinner destinations by boat.

I consider myself lucky to not drink "strictly by choice" after watching friends and relatives pay for their consequences. I enjoy the performance and adrenaline of life, family, motorcycles, snowmobiles, and boats too much to lose it.

Joe
    This is un-realistic at LOTO. Our water establishments cater to night boating along with day boating. They are literally miles apart (Even though the majority are in the first 33 miles) A no plane rule again is just un-realistic. It is part of the "Lake experience" at LOTO. Why should everyone be restricted because some people cannot control themselves?

COMMON SENSE is what is needed, along with sobriety. It's all fun and games until someone is killed because you can't control the drinking. Just get a different driver if you need to drink...
    B&B
    20.5 mm LOTO

Post Thanks / Like
    Bear in mind that any attempt to lower nighttime speed limits to something like 10 mph would create a huge uproar among the fishing tournament crowd. In July alone, there are 48 LOTO fishing tournaments on the MSHP's regatta permit listing that extend into nighttime hours.

My Ride
    Formula 370SS
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am fine with the 30mph limit at night. Like I say, we do a ton of boating at night and for the most part really enjoy it.

True story. About a month ago, several of us were on our deck right about sundown. We are on the point just upstream from the BWJ's cove. We watched an older Sea Ray cruiser leave the BWJ's cove and headed across the lake without its lights on. At first we did not think much about it but there was another cruiser (could not tell the make) heading upstream on the evergreen cove side. As they got closer, we started watching closer. All of a sudden, we were saying "they are going to hit!", and sure enough they did. It was dark enough that I could not see the detail very well, even with binocs. It was not a high speed "hit" but all 6 or 8 of us on the deck saw it. I called WP, as I had no idea if there was anybody in the water or not. The two boats got close together for a couple of minutes, and then headed in opposite directions (once they got close together, the boat that left BWJ's turned their lights on). WP showed up 10 minutes later and nobody was there. Maybe we are drawing false conclusions, but the thought was that BOTH drivers were drinking, and since there were no injuries, the decided "no harm no foul" and got the hell out of there before WP showed up.

I totally understand that people enjoy having "a couple of drinks" and it adds danger on the water. That said, I would support kind of an unwritten agreement that would insure that boaters would not be pulled over by WP at night IF they have all of the appropriate lighting on board, they are going at idle speed (no no wake, but idle), and they are following all other boating laws. If they have neon blue lights on down the side of the boat, have their driving lights turned on, or are making a wake, they can and will be pulled over. The optimist in me thinks that everybody should not drink, but the realist in me knows that it happens. I am just saying that I would think the risk of injury or death would be greatly lessened, while still allowing people to enjoy the lake and support the local establishments and have a couple without fear.

My Ride
    33 Outlaw
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Go_Jim View Post
    Bear in mind that any attempt to lower nighttime speed limits to something like 10 mph would create a huge uproar among the fishing tournament crowd. In July alone, there are 48 LOTO fishing tournaments on the MSHP's regatta permit listing that extend into nighttime hours.
    I think you are right about the uproar. But....I can still remember the uproar when they lowered it to 30mph. But they still did it. LOL

My Ride
    Rinker 272
    Post Thanks / Like
    As is often the case in these night accidents, there was barely any moon. It was very dark this weekend. My simple rule of thumb is that the first two weekends of the month are good, the second two are usually not such a good idea.

This was the third boat I saw go by Friday night within 30 minutes with improper lighting. We also noticed a lot of dangerous driving (cutting to the inside of Shawnee Bend heading downstream) just a little while before this picture and after thinking about it, I'm pretty sure it's because a lot of people are afraid of the dark so they are firewalling it home. Just something else to keep in mind.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Midwest Boat Party - Technical Operations

Post Thanks / Like
    When you look beyond the news releases and police reports, you begin to see the real tragedy in an accident like this. The GoFundMe page set up for the family tells a very sad story: https://www.gofundme.com/f/steinkuehler-family