Post Thanks / Like

Boating Newbie Questions

The wife and I are the process of getting a weekend place at the lake. We've considered everything from renting a place with a slip to buying a camper and renting a slip.

We've finally decided in for a penny in for a pound and we're going to buy a condo. A lot of the condos we've seen come with a 10x24 slip, which drastically limits boat choices.

I feel like something in the 24ft range is going to be too small a lot of the time. Full disclosure, I've spent a fair amount of time on boats, very little time piloting one.

In thinking a 27-30ft bowrider would be a decent choice, we'll just need to hold out for the right condo.

I have some friends with a lot of experience boating. We'll spend some time practicing during the week before I head out with family in the boat.

I know there's not a single correct answer, but any thoughts on boat size or type? If we have a condo the boat will be more for cruising and coving out. No overnights.

My Ride
    Formula 336 SR1
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Huffskies View Post
    The wife and I are the process of getting a weekend place at the lake. We've considered everything from renting a place with a slip to buying a camper and renting a slip.

We've finally decided in for a penny in for a pound and we're going to buy a condo. A lot of the condos we've seen come with a 10x24 slip, which drastically limits boat choices.

I feel like something in the 24ft range is going to be too small a lot of the time. Full disclosure, I've spent a fair amount of time on boats, very little time piloting one.

In thinking a 27-30ft bowrider would be a decent choice, we'll just need to hold out for the right condo.

I have some friends with a lot of experience boating. We'll spend some time practicing during the week before I head out with family in the boat.

I know there's not a single correct answer, but any thoughts on boat size or type? If we have a condo the boat will be more for cruising and coving out. No overnights.
    I agree that you'll be much happier with a boat in the 30' range. Also your condo resale value will be better the larger slip size you have.

My Ride
    Freedom Boat Club
    Post Thanks / Like
    I went down this road a few years back, the HOA board even told me that I could have a larger boat than my slip, hang 18" off the front, and 4' off the back, for a little over 5' total. Long story short, get a bigger slip ........ I went from a 10x24 to a 16x48 for my 25' boat ...... LOL. I currently am going to put my condo with a 10x20 slip on the market this fall, 2 bed 2 bath, all new appliances / furniture, updated paint and kitchen ..... at SWS off HH $130K....... If interested let me know
    Life is gooder in retirement !!!! - Endless Summer Live Life !!!

Ponte Vedra Beach FL/Wildwood MO/ LOTO - 1MM Big Niangua
    My Ride
    Mariah Z272, Bennington 2575RL
    Post Thanks / Like
    It partially depends upon the type of boat for how well it does at the lake. I have a 27' Bow rider and a 25' Tri-toon. The 25' Tri-toon does a nice job on the lake. In some respects, my tri-toon can manage better than the bow rider.

With this said, 24' slips are bad for resale and very limiting. In my complex, most of the 24' slips are used for PWCs. I would try to at least get into a 28' slip if possible...in the end, the larger the better.

My Ride
    Rinker 272
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't have anything less than a 30' slip under the 30MM either, because of resale.
    Midwest Boat Party - Technical Operations

My Ride
    Formula 370SS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Get as big as you possibly can. I would hate for a slip to be less than 32'. If you get a 16X48 lift bunks can be offset to one side for easy boarding. Even if you do not fill it with your own boat, resale down the road will be well worth it. Boats at the lake are not getting smaller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all of the info. We're looking at some places this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    The boat depends what you want to do, I have a 25' cobalt bowrider because I like to waterski and wife likes to run up and down the lake during the week and hit different lunch spots. I have a 27' on order.

My 25 can handle the Saturday traffic just fine but my patients for my fellow boat drivers is challenged on the weekends.

Glenwood, IA/10mm Spring Cove/Poplar Bluff, MO
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bigger the slip the better. We are hamstung with our slip preventing us from getting anything larger than our 27 footer. Never again will I buy anything if it has a slip smaller than 33ft.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
    "You can fall many times in life...But you're never a failure as long as you try to get up!" - Evel Knievel

My Ride
    32 Active Thunder
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is definitely a seller's market right now with very little available. As you will see, some complexes have several units for sale. There is always a reason for a lot units being for sale in one complex. My best advice would be stay at half dozen places at various locations by land and water. Then pick an area you like and see what comes up for sale.