Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Blender Poison Maker- A How To Guide

Hey party people. I have had a great year so far with a mild Wisconsin winter and a hella good time in KC at the MWBP party! But my life changed when I saw this ingenuous contraption built by those drinking innovators from Wichita. The fusing of household appliances and drink coolers which I affectionately call the Poison Maker. I wondered why every home in America, more importantly fellow boaters, didn't have one. I felt it was my duty to spread this newly obtained knowledge with each of you. In this tutorial I will give you all of the directions needed to create your own poison maker...
    Here we Go
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Shopping list

If you have a local Menards store...great!
    If you don't...well hopefully this info will still help you:
    Let's Go Shopping

Cooler-One 5 Gallon Water Cooler (get at Target) about $22.00ea

Plumbing Items:
    Garbage Disposal x1 @ $89.94ea
    Sku# 681-1468

5'- 1 1/2" PVC Pipe X1 @ $3.49ea
    Sku#689-8546

PVC Glue x1 @ $1.74ea
    Sku#693-1160

Teflon Pipe Tape x1 @ $0.59ea
    Sku#679-1795

3/4" Ball Valve x1 @ $5.49ea
    Sku#685-4014

3/4" 90 degree elbow(spout) x1 @ $3.36ea
    Sku#687-3503

3/4" threaded nipple x1 @ $0.51ea
    Sku#685-8683

1 1/2" Trap Adapter x1 @ $0.98ea
    Sku#689-2160

1 1/2" PVC Coupling x1 @ $0.38ea
    Sku#689-2005

1 1/2" PVC-"T" connector x1 @ $0.99ea
    Sku#689-7796

1 1/2"-3/4" PVC Bushing x1 @ $0.94ea
    Sku#689-7534

1 1/2" PVC 90 degree elbow x2 @ $0.74ea
    Sku#689-7767

1 1/2" PVC 40 degree elbow x1 @ $0.99
    Sku#689-7738

Electrical Items:
    15' Electrical Cord x1 @ $7.19ea
    Sku#370-2701

10 Amp toggle switch x1 @ $3.49ea
    Sku#363-8660

Cord Fastener x1 @ $0.88ea
    Sku#365-1003

Total: $144.44... It seems steep but how many freinds of yours can say they can blend 5 gallons of drinks at one time???

Post Thanks / Like

Tools needed

To get started you'll need to have the following tools:

Cordless or corded drill
    ½” and ¾” drill bit
    3 ½” hole saw w/arbor
    Hacksaw
    Philips & Flat Head screw driver
    Tape Measure
    Locking Jaw Pliers

If you don't have em', buy em'.
    If you don't want to buy em', steal em' from your neighbor.

Post Thanks / Like

Step 1

Step 1: Preparing the garbage disposal
    -2 things need to be done to the disposal itself:
    •Drill holes in base for on/off switch and for the electrical cord opening.
    •Wire/mount the switch and power cord

Step 1a: Drilling holes for cord and switch.
    •After removing the phillips screw on the bottom of the disposal, the square panel comes off to reveal the white and black electrical wires. You can see exactly how narrow the area you have to work with is; so drilling holes in the right place can be crucial.
    •Using a ½” drill bit drill your hole for the switch to sit in.
    •Using a ¾” drill bit drill the hole for the cord clamp about an inch to the side of the hole you made for the switch.

Step 1b: Mounting and wiring switch/cord.
    •Before we even start here I need to state the obvious and say that make sure you dont have your cord plugged in at ANY time!
    •So, after your holes are drilled you can mount the power cord sleeve on the disposal. Cut the female plug off of the power cord and strip the 3 wires, then push the 3 wires through the power cord sleeve.
    •See diagram below for wiring the switch
    •After the switch is wired connect the ground wire to the metal screw that sits under the plate you removed.
    •Push the switch through the hole and tighten it on. Also you can clamp the power cord in place by tightening the screws on the sleeve.
    •Make sure no wires are touching that shouldn’t be by capping off any exposed wires with electrical tape or twist connectors
    •Screw the square plate back on. Electrical is done.

Post Thanks / Like

Step 2

Step 2: Mounting the water jug to the disposal
    •Using a 3 ½” hole saw drill a hole through the center of the jugs base.
    Note: I’m not a plumbing pro so I can’t guarantee all disposals have 3 ½” mouths; however I can assure that the garbage disposal listed has a 3 ½” mouth. If you buy one somewhere else you’ll have to verify opening sizes.
    •Here’s the trickiest part of the whole deal…I found it impossible to mount the sleeve of the disposal to the cooler because of the thickness of the insulating foam in the base. Through trial and error you will need to take sharp knife and cut foam out of the bottom (about ½”- ¾” of the stuff) to get the sleeve to fit. After cutting horizontally through the insulating foam I used a spoon to scoop out the foam through the hole.
    •Once you determine that you can get the sleeve to mount onto the jug, place a small bead of silicone around the base opening inside the jug.
    •I love saying jug.
    •Then mount and tighten the sleeve to the jug.
    •Now you are ready to mount the disposal to the jug (see the instructions that come with your disposal)

Post Thanks / Like

Step 3

Step 3: Plumb the bitch! After making 2 sections that didn’t work because fittings were wrong or were too short, please follow these directions as they have been tried and proven true:
    note: clean the ends of any plastic/PVC cuts you make. We don’t want chunks in our blender now do we?
    •Locate the small bag with mounting pieces that came along with the disposal.
    •Take the black pipe shaped like an L with a flare on it and cut as close to the bend as you can.
    •Throw away the long part without the flare on it.
    •Take the part with the flare and put the diamond shape metal plate over the flared tube.
    •Now take the trap adaptor and prep the inside of it with PVC glue.
    •Quickly push the black flared tube w/plate on it into the smaller end of the trap adaptor.
    •As you screw the ring on continue to push the flared tube into the trap adaptor as tight as you can.
    •Next prep one side of the PVC coupling for gluing, and insert the male end of the trap adaptor into the coupler.
    •Cut a 1 1/8” section off of the 5ft PVC tube. Take that section and glue it onto the other end of the PVC coupler. A little under ¾ of an inch should be sticking out of the coupler.
    •At this point the coupler might seem pointless, but it adds an extra 1 ½” of space away from the jug so when you run your vertical pipe it doesn’t run into the base of the jug…I found that out the hard way.
    •Now glue the exposed PVC tubing into one of the horizontal ends of the “T”
    •Into the other horizontal end glue the 1 ½” – ¾” bushing.
    •Using teflon tape to seal the threads, screw the ¾” threaded nipple into the bushing.
    •As you have probably guessed the ball valve screws onto the other end of the nipple, also use teflon tape at this connection.
    •Finally screw on the 90 degree brass spout onto the ball valve(use the tape again)
    •You can now screw the plumbing assembly to the disposal. You’ll need to router out a small space in the trap adaptor ring for the screws to set in.
    •For anybody paying attention, so far I have said jug and nipple…

Post Thanks / Like

Step 4

Step 4: Almost there!
    •This part will now take some measuring of your own, but you will now measure, cut and mount the vertical PVC tube by connecting one end to the top of the “T”. At this point longer section is better than short because you aren’t gluing it yet.
    •Cut 2 sections of PVC tubing 1 1/8” long
    •Using one of those sections glue and connect the two 90 degree elbows so that they form an upside down U
    •Using the other 1 1/8” section connect one of the 90 degree elbows to the 45 degree elbow (see picture)
    •Glue the vertical PVC tube to the other 90 degree elbow
    •Size up and cut the vertical tube so the upside down U just sits on top of the jug. Glue it and you are done!
    •The last thing is the lid…you can’t cut a hole in it because it needs to be screwed on, so that part I leave up to you. But congratulations and have good blending!

My Ride
    Baja 36 Outlaw
    Post Thanks / Like
    How much for you to build me one!!!!
    If you can''t do it the \"Blender Poison\" can!

My Ride
    Freedom Boat Club
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great instructions, I will add that a two or three gallon cooler is at times more practical for parties of 15 or less. I personally have made 33+ of these Margarita Machines and have sent them all over the US and Canada. There are several race teams that have them in their trailers

I must also add, that you will want to clean your PVC to remove all the markings, this makes for a cleaner product....my pending patent # is 5689127
    Life is gooder in retirement !!!! - Endless Summer Live Life !!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I think time after time and labor two hondo isn't a bad price. As long as Rich doesnt mind me makin some $$$ off of his patent

My Ride
    Freedom Boat Club
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is what I get for them, if buying 1 - $250.00 if buying more than 1, price drops to $200.00 does not include shipping.

I have done race sets with a custom stainless steel coleman cooler with a matching Margarita machine with custom decals.....Looks really cool....SB and anyone else go for it, as SB said it does take some time to figure it all out....another thing, make sure you have the right angles inside the cooler, otherwise the ice will build-up on the side.....lesson learned the hardway.....We made several modifications while perfecting the final product - It is the coolest thing.....I have even done a rent to own, $50.00 to rent, if they buy - I apply the $50.00 to the total price.....some ideas for ya.....
    Life is gooder in retirement !!!! - Endless Summer Live Life !!!

My Ride
    resembles a battleship
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlended
    How much for you to build me one!!!!
    What choo mean??

That is yours!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanx rat, maybe i'll pimp the margarita market in the wisconsin minnesota area. College kids would go nutz for them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info. When I was looking at the MWBP pictures I was hoping for a closer look ( I guess I got the bonus plan the instructions!!) . I now have a winter project. Can you explain what the disposal part is for. Is it to grind and blend the ice? You even have the sku#'s for all parts involved That's attention to detail.

My Ride
    Baja 30 Outlaw 2004
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is genius , good old american inginuity.